why use windows intune instead of SCCM

Copper Contributor
Hello All !!!

I want to know why an organisation would use Windows Intune instead of SCCM?

Also is it possible to deploy images using Windows intune ? Lets say I have a laptop and I want to implement an image / is it possible ?

Thanks !!!
1 Reply

Hi @Keywinz635 

Let me start off by saying that no every organization should switch from SCCM to Intune. A lot of (larger) organizations still heavily profit from SCCM as the feature set of SCCM is richer.

But to answer your question, why Intune:

- It's a serverless solution, you do not need to maintain site servers and SQL servers.

- Fully cloud based (no dependency on on-prem infra)

- Your clients get their config from the cloud 

- Intune can also managed iOS, Android and MacOS devices.

- Intune integrates natively into all Office 365 workloads (Azure AD, Exchange Online...)

Do know that you this isn't an 'or' question, Microsoft advises a hybrid advise where you use SCCM and Intune together. This is called co-management.

If you are just getting started with Intune, I recommend the Youtube channel, Intune Training, which does a really good job at explaining all the aspects of Intune.

In Intune, you cannot deploy images. Intune uses a zero-touch deployment method, called Autopilot. You utilize the image of your OEM, add your own applications and configurations through Intune and your device is delivered straight to the end-user. Check out this video for more info.