SOLVED

Which one is right Intune Device Group or User Group

Brass Contributor

I am trying to understand this. Which group should I really create? A device Group or a User Group? It is confusing. And how is this Group useful? Is it to assign users or devices?

Enter the Membership type. Your options:

• Assigned: Administrators manually assign users or devices to this group, and manually remove users or devices.

• Dynamic User: Administrators create membership rules to automatically add and remove members.

• Dynamic Device: Administrators create dynamic group rules to automatically add and remove devices.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by oryxway390 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @oryxway390

You are asking two questions. Which group should be used to assign configuration profiles to and which membership type should be used? Hopefully, I can answer both questions.

Let's start with user or device groups, If you want to apply settings on a device, regardless of who’s signed in, then assign your profiles to a devices group. Use device groups when you don’t care who’s signed in on the device, or if anyone is signed in. You want your settings to always be on the device.

And use user groups when you want that your settings to be applied to a specific user, whatever device they use. 

for more information: Assign device profiles in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

So hopefully this helps you with which group you will assign to your profiles. By default all almost all groups are static, If you are creating a new group, it is be default assigned. You must always manually add the user or device to the group. This can be very time consuming by adding the user or device each time you have a new device or user. So you can use Dynamic group based on rules and the groups will be automatically populated. 

Rules for dynamically populated groups membership - Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Docs

so based on how you decide to make/build your configuration you can choose, which type of group to assign

Kind regards,

Rene

If we supply devices to one user and it is not like that we have multiple users logging onto the same device during multiple shifts, then should we just go with User Group and not Device Group?

Hi @oryxway390 , 

with the limited information you have shared it’s hard to give a good advices, but if multiple users will logon to the same device. I would go for a shared pc and I think I will use device group assignments. But keep in mind for example the company portal is limited etc.

The option that I prefer is to provide for everyone a personal laptop. Create your configuration and assign to a user group. 

kind regards,

Rene

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by oryxway390 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @oryxway390

You are asking two questions. Which group should be used to assign configuration profiles to and which membership type should be used? Hopefully, I can answer both questions.

Let's start with user or device groups, If you want to apply settings on a device, regardless of who’s signed in, then assign your profiles to a devices group. Use device groups when you don’t care who’s signed in on the device, or if anyone is signed in. You want your settings to always be on the device.

And use user groups when you want that your settings to be applied to a specific user, whatever device they use. 

for more information: Assign device profiles in Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

So hopefully this helps you with which group you will assign to your profiles. By default all almost all groups are static, If you are creating a new group, it is be default assigned. You must always manually add the user or device to the group. This can be very time consuming by adding the user or device each time you have a new device or user. So you can use Dynamic group based on rules and the groups will be automatically populated. 

Rules for dynamically populated groups membership - Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Docs

so based on how you decide to make/build your configuration you can choose, which type of group to assign

Kind regards,

Rene

View solution in original post