Uninstall win32 app without uninstall.exe in programfiles folder

Copper Contributor

I want to be able to uninstall an application called Rapidtyping from https://rapidtyping.com/. 

It seems it doesnt have a valid uninstall string in the registery. The register refers to C:\Program Files\RapidTyping 5\Uninstall.exe, but there is no Uninstall.exe in this folder.

On the vendors website there is a page about uninstalling the software with Programs and Features, where you need to check boxes (https://rapidtyping.com/how-to-remove.html). It seems to be the only way to uninstall this software.

I would appreciate any tips on how to uninstall this software within the Endpoint Manager.

6 Replies
Could the app be a x86? Also, you can try wmic to remove.

@rahuljindal-MVP There is also a 32bit version, but there is also no uninstall.exe file in the programfiles x86 folder.

When i use the command 'wmic product get name', the app name isn't listed. I think it only shows MSI based software.

@TechSkills 

This is what I would try; if the application does not have a valid uninstall string in the registry and the uninstaller is missing, you may have to resort to alternative methods to uninstall it. Here are a few options you can try:

1.  Reinstall the application: Sometimes, reinstalling the application can help fix the uninstaller. Download the latest version of RapidTyping and install it again, then try to uninstall it as usual.

2.  Use a third-party uninstaller: There are many third-party uninstallers available that can help remove stubborn applications. Some popular options include Revo Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller, and Geek Uninstaller. These programs scan your computer for installed programs and offer a more thorough removal process than the standard Windows uninstaller.

3.  Manual uninstall: If all else fails, you can try to manually uninstall the program. This method requires some technical expertise and should be approached with caution. Here are the general steps to follow:

A)  End any processes related to the program in the Task Manager.

B)  Delete the program folder in C:\Program Files.

C). Search for any remaining files or folders related to the program and delete them.

D)  Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and delete any registry keys associated with the program. Be   careful not to delete unrelated keys.

Note: Manually deleting registry keys can be risky and may cause problems with your system if done incorrectly. It's recommended to ALWAYS create a backup of your registry before making any changes.

4.   Use Endpoint Manager to create a custom script: If you're using Endpoint Manager, you can create a custom script to uninstall RapidTyping. Here's an example PowerShell script you can use:

# Get the program name from the DisplayName in the registry $programName = (Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -like "*RapidTyping*"}).DisplayName # Uninstall the program using the program name & "$($env:windir)\System32\msiexec.exe" /x $(Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -like "*$programName*"}).UninstallString /qn

This script searches the registry for the program name and uninstalls it using the uninstall string. To use this script in Endpoint Manager, you can create a new custom script and paste the code into the script editor. Then, assign the script to the devices you want to run it on.

It's ALWAYS recommended to back up your system and registry before attempting to uninstall any program manually or using a third-party uninstaller.

The link you shared before contains details on using a ‘Portable method’. ~~Manually delete the folder containing RapidTyping's files and remove desktop shortcuts to them (if any).~~ Have you tried this? Should be enough to script these steps.
It seems that the uninstall.exe file is created when i re-run the installer file again. The uninstaller is not always created after the installation is done. So i think i need to do some more testing and maybe create a Powershell script to re-run this installer (silent) to create the uninstaller.exe in the ProgramFiles folder of the application.
Or capture the uninstaller, wrap it up along with other files (if any) together with an uninstall script and dump it locally on the device and run it from there.