Native Android Mail App

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Is there any official word or pointers which confirms that Modern Authentication is not compatible with Android native mail app ?

Regards

Hemu

10 Replies
AFAIK, the native andriod mail app is not supported for modern authentication (MSAL). I could not find the official document or may be my search is not that great but i found this https://help.duo.com/s/article/3476?language=en_US
By native mail app do you mean Gmail?
I haven't found any official documentation, but Modern Auth in Gmail is supported from Android 9.0
Not gmail. What I meant was the default mail app on Android phones.
It’s not compatible with Android Native mail app. You need to enable Legacy authentication protocol to access your O365 mailbox.

Hope this helps!
Moe
The default mail app differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. What brand are your phones?

Samsung's Mail app supports modern auth

@Thijs Lecomte Do you have an official source for making sure that Samsung's Mail App supports Modern Authentication?

Thanks a lot!

I don't have documentation, it's almost impossible to find.
It's just something I found out through testing
I agree, the Samsung Email app has supported Modern Auth for at least the last year and a half but there's very little to be found on which versions are officially supported.
Has anyone found any documentation for this? I see this is a fairly old thread. July 2022 and I still can't some up with Microsoft documentation in a simple google search telling me the requirements for modern auth on mobile devices or what Microsoft supports.
I'm just trying to answer a question to myself on what options I will give my users once I go to managing everyone's personal BYOD in Intune. What is better, Intune Device enrollment, or MAM and are the other native mail apps MAM aware? If we force people to using Outlook, I need to have the answer as to why since I have a picky user base. I just can't seem to find a good answer.
you can tell to the business that using Outlook mobile apps:
1. the only mobile apps that support sensitive labeling (private, confidential, public, etc)
2. it automatically support modern authentication so you dont need to worry about basic auth