SOLVED

Configuration Profile settings continue to be applied to Device after its removed from Configuration

Copper Contributor

I created a very simple test Configuration Profile in Intune for Windows devices.  Its a settings catalog configuration to Reboot the device daily at a specified Time.  

I had a test machine in the AAD group that this Config Profile was assigned to and everything worked fine.  Computer rebooted at the time I had specified every day.  I then removed the AAD Group from the assigned Groups in the Daily Reboot profile.  My assumption was that this configuration would be removed from the device. The test machine continues to reboot every day at the same time even after removing the AAD group from the Config Profile.  

When I look at the Device Config for this particular machine, the Daily Reboot profile is not listed as being applied to the device.

I looked in Task Scheduler on the machine itself to see if some kind of Task was created but could not find anything related to a daily reboot.

Any suggestions on where I can find this configuration on the Device itself and the best way to remove it?

Is this common behavior for Intune?

6 Replies
Removing an assignment will not revert the managed settings. This is only supported for limited number of CSPs. If you want to get rid of the reboot task then you will need to apply a policy from Intune in some shape or form.
Can we see the policy that you created to begin with?

@NicklasOlsen

Initial Test Config:

Device Configuration Profile Settings Catalog for Windows 10 Devices

Assigned to one AAD Group - Daily Reboot Test

• This group had one device in it, a test laptop I use

The only settings Configuration was 

• Reboot - Daily Recurrent - Set at 3pm CST

I monitored this on the test device for several days and every day at 3pm, the laptop would reboot.  I decided to roll this out to a group of reception desktops to try it out and then made some slight changes to the Policy

Production Policy:

Removed Daily Reboot Test AAD Group from the configuration assignment

Assigned a different group - Daily Reboot Front Desk - to the policy

• This group contains 5 different devices, not my test device

Changed the Reboot Daily Recurrence time to 1:00am CST

griggs31_0-1717508583140.png

This is the only setting configured in this Policy.

Monitored the devices in this new group and confirmed by checking their local Event Viewer that they did in fact reboot at 1:00am CST.  

But - the initial test laptop that was configured to reboot daily at 3pm continues to reboot daily at 3pm.
Wondering if there are any suggestions how to remove the reboot configuration on the test machine?

Also, where locally on the test laptop can I view this configuration?  Tried looking in PolicyManager in the registry but didn't see anything. 

best response confirmed by griggs31 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Did you read my response on reverting settings? Also, you should be able to delete a schedule by setting a null value against the CSP. Should be possible to achieve the same using settings catalog. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/reboot-csp
You should try the response from @rahuljindal-MVP.
The best bet, would be to change the CSP, in order to try to revert the settings.

@rahuljindal-MVP 

Discovered that KB article this morning and I am trying that now.  Created a new CSP with a null value set for the Daily Reboot

griggs31_0-1717526936333.png

Assigned it to my Test machine AAD Group.  I set this up about 4 hours ago prior to this message but still not seeing anything in the check-in status.  I did manually sync the device after creating this new CSP.  I'll give it some more time and see if this corrects it.  Thank you for your suggestions

griggs31_1-1717527071098.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by griggs31 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Did you read my response on reverting settings? Also, you should be able to delete a schedule by setting a null value against the CSP. Should be possible to achieve the same using settings catalog. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/reboot-csp

View solution in original post