Android Device Renaming

Copper Contributor

Hello there,

I wanted to rename several Android Tablets (Samsung Tab A7/A8) so we can easy manage and find them. The devices are enrolled as Corp Dedicated.

Sadly i realized after adjusting the Device and Management Name in Endpoint Manager, the Devices keept there Out of the Box name.

Am i doing something wrong?

Thank you for the help.

4 Replies
Don't think you change the actual hostname, but with the details in Intune (Type/Model, MAC address), you should be able to find them?
Did that work out for you?
Any update?

@TheMadScientist 

If it is just a once off bulk rename you are after, then you can do it via the console.
Here is an extract from: Rename a device with Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn

You can choose to rename devices in bulk, based on the device platform. The bulk rename option uses the same rules as renaming a single device. However, you must also include one of the following variables as part of the device name:

• {{serialnumber}} - Add the device's serial number to the name.
  • {{rand:x}} - Add a random string of numbers, where x equals the number of digits to add.

To use the bulk rename action:

1. Sign in to the Microsoft Intune admin center.
  2. Choose Devices > All devices > Bulk Device Actions.
  3. On the Basics page, for OS select the platform of the devices you want to rename, and then for Device action select Rename.
  4. Complete the configuration wizard.