Change Group Display Name using Graph

Iron Contributor

I'm working on restoring deleted Groups (Teams) and I'm using Powershell and MS Graph for all the necessary step to complete the process and all steps is working but one. I have a step that's causing me some trouble, changing the Display Name and add content to Description for each of restored groups.

I tried different formats in creating the payload for the body; however, all have failed.  Can someone take a look at what I have and show me what I'm missing so that I can create the correct format for the payload so that I can change a group's display name and description using Graph API.

$ArchiveDisplayName = $GrpsInfoRequest.displayName
$ArchiveDate = Get-date -Format "MM/dd/yyyy:HH:mm"
[string]$ArchiveDiscription = "Group Restored and Archived on $ArchiveDate"
[string]$RestoreArchiveDisplayName = "DO NOT DELETE RESTORED TEAM - " + $ArchiveDisplayName

$Body = @{description = $ArchiveDiscription
displayName = $RestoreArchiveDisplayName
} | ConvertTo-Json

$UpdateGrpNameRequestURI = "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/groups/$ArchiveTeamID"
$UpdateTeamRequest = Invoke-RestMethod -Headers $HeaderRW -Uri $UpdateGrpNameRequestURI -Method PATCH -Body $Body -ContentType "application/json"

######################### ERROR I'M GETTING ###########################

VERBOSE: PATCH https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/groups/XXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXXX with -1-byte payload

Invoke-RestMethod : The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
At line:9 char:37
+ ... = Invoke-RestMethod -Headers $HeaderRW -Uri $UpdateGrpNameR ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (System.Net.HttpWebRequest:HttpWebRequest) [Invoke-RestMethod], WebException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebCmdletWebResponseException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeRestMethodCommand

################################# END  ################################

Thank You,

-Larry

0 Replies