Bing Wallpaper App issue on Win 11 with multiple desktops

Brass Contributor

I have had the Bing Wallpaper app for a long time now - really love it.

Windows 11 now allows wallpaper to be set for each virtual desktop, which is a great feature, but the wallpaper app only seems to update one of the desktops.

Further, having different wallpapers really slows down the time required to switch between desktops, from < 300ms to several seconds.  Because of this, and the fact that this app changes the wallpaper at least daily, I find myself constantly switching between desktops and manually "catching up" the desktop that the app has missed.

An an "insider" I have been suffering with this for a while, and I thought it would be fixed soon after Win 11 was released, but it's been a few weeks now so I thought I'd raise it as an issue.

I've had to turn off the daily refresh on the App - hopefully this will be addressed soon (or you could open source it and I'll raise a PR for you).

EDIT: I have also noticed that switching between desktops that have different wallpaper is extremely laggy (>1s), but when the wallpaper is the same it's seamless.  I have 3 QHD monitors but also an 11th gen Core i7, m2 class 40 storage and a GeForce RTX 3070 so I wouldn't have expected painting a new 500kb wallpaper to be a big issue. 

8 Replies

@Richard Hauer I'm having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix?

Yup, I'm experiencing the same issue. Switching wallpaper manually on each desktop every single day since a few months now. Please help :<

Having the same issue since switching to win11 a month ago. Only one of the desktop is updated daily. They have not yet fixed it.

You have to turn off and then on "daily refresh" to update the wallpaper, and then Bing Wallpaper starts to update on the last desktop you have done so but stops updating on the others.

My experience is exactly the same, to the point that I want to remove Bing Wallpaper and try some other apps that change the background automagically to see whether they have the same issue.
Having the same issue for build 22000.434. Windows Mutli-desktop feature is sluggish after adding multi-wallpapers.
For me, this manifests as having to toggle daily refresh to get the wallpaper to update on a given desktop. That said - different (recent) wallpaper on different desktops is great, even if it's unintended. So I hope they don't fix it too much...
Oh Microsoft, releasing cool tools that almost work. This 'almost' can become so annoying.
My issue is that after updating the wallpapers, sometimes one -or two- of the desktops doesn't recognize the wallpaper anymore. In the 'Change Desktop' view, it looks blank... and when I change to it, it keeps the wallpaper from the previous desktop.
After I manually change it, it works fine. But I have to do this once a day.
Disappointing to see this reported almost 2 years ago with no updates. I have the same issue.