"Client Error: invalid sender address specified" when trying to add allowed domain to spam filter

Copper Contributor

nithinbabu_0-1663065238259.png

"Client Error: invalid sender address specified" when trying to add allowed domain to spam filter policy in defender for office365

1 Reply

@nithinbabu The '' at the end of the notice is odd. How do you have the entry formatted, and are you adding it to the entry to Allowed Senders or Allowed Domains (anti-spam policy)? 
The only time I have received any sort of "Invalid address" errors is if I add a domain to the Allowed Senders list (needs to be name@contoso.com), or if I add a domain starting with @ (e.g., @contoso.com) to the Allowed Domains list (should just be "contoso.com").
Also, note that we recommend that you utilize other tools to allow senders into your organization, such as using the Tenant Allow Block List, spoof intelligence, or mail flow rules (which have better control over allowed senders), as the allowed domains list can be exploited.
Here's additional background and recommendations: Create safe sender lists in EOP.

And if our filtering/protection gets things wrong, you can always use the admin submissions feature to submit FN/FP messages to us. The Report good email to Microsoft section is probably the most relevant in this situation.