OneNote for Windows 10: Insert link to OneDrive file

Copper Contributor

In OneNote for Windows 10 (consumer version): How can i insert a link to an existing file on OneDrive (consumer version) in a OneNote page? 

Thank you very much for your support

Andreas

7 Replies

Hi @Andreas775 

Just quickly tested this Opened up OneDrive consumer on the web, right click on the file and click share. Then click the copy link and paste the url in to your OneDrive (provided the appropriate permissions are assigned on the file.)

hope this helps,

Mark

Thank you Marc for your support!

Best regards

Andreas

@HidMov is there a specific link for specific instructions on how to upload to onedrive and insert link to onenote? I know how but I have to teach others how to do it.

Hi @maggiebow 

I'm not aware of any specific links for instructions - you might have to make your own with some screen shots. Process is fairly simple though so hopefully won't take too long :smile:

Just go to the Ribbon. Select Insert, then select File. This will then allow you to pick any file on your PC or OneDrive. Select the file you want and it will appear in OneNote as an icon. Click the icon at any time and the file will open!

@HidMov

I just found out that once you have copied the link from OneDrive, you can also go to Insert (from Ribbon on OneNote) > Link and there you can change the Display Name of the file (so you don't just see the whole URL of the link)

Hope this helps!

Hi HidMov, your method is good but it relies on the external link creation for sharing. What might be preferred is the local link to your account. For this, I do following:
1) Open the file to be linked in onedrive web
2) Copy the address that appears on address bar when that file is opened. Don't copy the parid portion - see below
3) Use insert link option in onenote and paste this copied address.

Continuing on pt 2 above.

Suppose your link comes out as

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=23435U34783895D6&id=23435U34783895D6!298&parId=23435U34783895D6%21104...

Then copy only: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=23435U34783895D6&id=23435U34783895D6!298 and not the full path.

So what happens is that if you move your file in onedrive, the link in onenote will remain intact. Basically you only need the unique id of the file and not its parent id (parid)