Updated 6/29/21: We are actively testing and baking a solution to improve the accuracy and timeliness of discovered apps. Though we don’t have any dates to currently share, stay tuned to this post and our In development docs for future updates.
Intune provides a host of application management features, such as app availability, App Policies, and app inventory, among others. The Intune discovered apps pane displays a list of detected apps on your managed devices. To learn more about discovered apps in Intune, see .
We were recently alerted to an issue whereby not all versions of applications are being reported, inconsistencies of information between Discovered apps report and Discovered apps per devices, and Discovered apps reported under devices blade differs from the actual device. Upon investigation, we discovered an issue with our data aggregation service not collecting all application information. In addition, since the data collection occurs every 7 days, feedback from admins was that they wanted to see applications from newly added devices or updated application versions.
Steps to reproduce:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center
- Select Apps > Monitor > Discovered apps
- View the # of devices with a specific app, then newly add that app to an Intune enrolled device
- Confirm that # Devices does not increase after Step 3
Note: The pane will update # Device after 7 days
Another way to verify:
- Select Apps > Monitor > Discovered apps report
- Compare the information displayed with the Device > iOS > Discovered apps
Please note that Android Enterprise Fully Managed and Dedicated devices do not report discovered apps so unfortunately, Intune cannot discover apps on these device types.
Intune has been working on a solution to improve the accuracy and timeliness of discovered apps. We are currently architecting a new data pipeline that will create a more efficient data flow and expect to complete the work by early next calendar year. This work will directly result in the following:
- Increased efficiency of the data pipeline which will drive improvements in reporting/data warehouse
- Improved timeliness of discovered apps by reducing the data collection from every 7 days to every 24 hours
- Improvements to the aggregation workflow in reporting
- Addition of discovered apps from Android enterprise devices
- Discovered apps data will be added to the Azure Log Analytics (Specialist) pipeline
Let us know if you have any additional questions on this by replying back to this post or tagging @IntuneSuppTeam out on Twitter.
6/29/21 - We are actively testing and baking a solution to improve the accuracy and timeliness of discovered apps. Future updates can be found in the update text at the beginning of this post.