onPrem says mailbox is remote, EOL wants me to migrate the onPrem mailbox?

Bronze Contributor

Hi, I could use some guidance as to whats going on here.

Two years ago, we had an onPrem mailbox of a users, that we've migrated to Office 365. Hybrid is still enabled, with AAD Connect. The employee left the company somewhere along the line, and we've removed the Office 365 license (E3), but left the onPrem AD object (enabled, not disabled). The mailbox has (or should?) of course been deleted, which is just fine.

Now that user is returning, and I thought I could just re-enable the license and a new mailbox would be provisioned. 

My onPrem enviorment (ECP) says the mailbox is an Office 365 Mailbox (remotemailbox). Get-RemoteMailbox on our local exchange console confirms this.

In the Office 365 Admin Center, the Exchange Tab says: This user's on-premises mailbox hasn't been migrated to Exchange Online. The Exchange Online mailbox will be available after migration is completed.

At this point I'm not sure what to do.

I could just deleted everything create the user from scratch, since I'm not interested in previous data, but I'd like to understand the mechanics behind this.

1 Reply

You seem to have a MEU object remaining for that object in ExO which has a record of the previous exchangeGUID, you should be able to easily confirm this via Get-Recipient user@domain.com. As to fixing it, try the method outlined here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2018/01/17/permanently-clear-previous-mailbox-info/