SOLVED

Incomplete sync of Exchange Message Moderation settings to Office 365 / Exchange Online

Steel Contributor

We setup message moderation for some of our distribution lists. We still have an Exchange 2010 server in hybrid with no mailboxes on premise that via AD Connect goes to Office 365 / Exchange Online. I have an odd problem that message moderation settings don't flow fully from local to cloud. I am able to edit it in cloud even though it is synchronized group luckily but not sure why it is happening?

Message Moderation.png

12 Replies

I'm not at home currently so I cannot check this in my lab, however according to the documentation, the corresponding AD attributes should be synchronized to Exchange Online (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-sync-attributes-syn...).

Two things come to mind: check whether there are modifications made to the default sync rules, and check whether the users/groups that are configured as moderators are in the scope of sync.

Like Vasil says, check the attributes are in the scope of sync. They should be but maybe someone has edited the synchronisation rules.

The only other thing I might ask is what is the version of the directory synchronisation tool? Having a quick look I cannot see a bug for moderation attributes but if it is old it would make sense to update it.

@Vasil Michev wrote:

I'm not at home currently so I cannot check this in my lab, however according to the documentation, the corresponding AD attributes should be synchronized to Exchange Online (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-sync-attributes-syn...).

Two things come to mind: check whether there are modifications made to the default sync rules, and check whether the users/groups that are configured as moderators are in the scope of sync.

That group in question is definitely in scope of sync and I can manually add it. The other interesting thing is I can't enable message moderation for O365 side since it is AD based group, that must be synchronized. However once I enable it I can then edit properties only on O365 side?

Message Moderation 2.png

@Oliver Moazzezi wrote:

Like Vasil says, check the attributes are in the scope of sync. They should be but maybe someone has edited the synchronisation rules.

The only other thing I might ask is what is the version of the directory synchronisation tool? Having a quick look I cannot see a bug for moderation attributes but if it is old it would make sense to update it.

I was on 1.1.880 from August. I just installed 1.2.68 and will test again.

1.1.880 isn't particularly old so I don't think it will be that. I'll double check in my lab tomorrow for you.

Brian

I have checked in my lab and this is my experience. If I enabled moderation on a synchronised mail enabled distribution list, the updates are shown in the export in the Synchronisation Service Manager. Please check the attached pictures and make the changes in your environment to see if AADConnect is picking up the change and synchronising it.

You can see I made two changes, one to enable moderation and another to change moderation notifications - both are picked up by AADConnect and synchronised over.

Can you check this and report back your findings for synchronisation flow?

1.png2.png3.png

Thanks for testing that. I can confirm everything comes over except for when I put groups in the senders that don't require approval. I just added another group and will capture the synch and share it shortly.

Brian

I am getting the same experience as you for both Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2013 Hybrid labs. I haven't had the chance to test in Exchange 2016.

msExchBypassModerationLink is successfully synchronised from on-premises through AADConnect and reflected in Exchange Online EAC, however I can simply add and remove users at my desire for moderator bypass, where making other changes are blocked because the object is synchronised from on-premises via AADConnect.

4.png

best response confirmed by Brian Hoyt (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Reading here the msExchBypassModerationLink attributed has been supported by AADConnect since version 1.1.524.0

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-sync-attributes-syn...

So it appears to be a bug where Azure AD isn't anchoring the attribute to only be controlled by on-premises.

Thanks for all your checking. It seems the attribute msExchBypassModerationFromDLMemebersLink is not being synchronized properly. Here is a screenshot from my service manager.

Message Moderation 3.png

@Oliver Moazzezi wrote:

Reading here the msExchBypassModerationLink attributed has been supported by AADConnect since version 1.1.524.0

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-sync-attributes-syn...

So it appears to be a bug where Azure AD isn't anchoring the attribute to only be controlled by on-premises.

In looking at the link you shared it seems Bypass DL is not synchronized so I guess this is expected behavior. As a result they have to let you edit it on O365 or there would be no way to do it otherwise. Thanks for investigation. Probably a rarely used feature so down the list of things to implement.

Nice to have a better understanding of the qwerks of the system. 

Have a great day!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brian Hoyt (Steel Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post