SOLVED

How many licenses Exchange Online Plan 1

Copper Contributor

Hi
I cant seem to get an answer for the below from Microsoft, I have been told to set up a trial.
1 employee with 2 domain names.
My question is how many licenses would be needed for the below 6 emails?

myname@mydomain-1.com.au
info@mydomain-1.com.au
accounts@mydomain-1.com.au

myname@mydomain-2.com.au
info@mydomain-2.com.au
accounts@mydomain-2.com.au

I was told this was possible in 1 tenant
Licensed
myname@mydomain-1.com.au

Shared mailboxes
info@mydomain-1.com.au
accounts@mydomain-1.com.au
myname@mydomain-2.com.au
info@mydomain-2.com.au
accounts@mydomain-2.com.au

But also read this 1) You cannot create a user called john@companyone.com and then a second user or shared mailbox with... by @NeilFS

Thanks

13 Replies
If its one person then 1 license. However you cannot have duplicate email aliases in the org as they are unique.

That said, your scenario makes no sense. Why would you have a mailbox and a shared mailbox with the same addresses?

You would just create the one mailbox and share from there assuming you had other people in your tenant besides the individual which would need licensed as well.

Or if what you are trying to do is have a separate mailbox for things that the user can access then you can setup the shared mailboxes as additional mailboxes on the Outlook.

Anyway, just one license is required.

Hi Chris its just the 1 employee but I require 6 email addresses, not sure if im on the wrong track but I thought I would need to use shared mailboxes?

@Chris Webb wrote:
However you cannot have duplicate email aliases in the org as they are unique.

Would info@mydomain-1.com.au & info@mydomain-2.com.au be duplicate aliases?

@Chris Webb wrote:
That said, your scenario makes no sense. Why would you have a mailbox and a shared mailbox with the same addresses?

I don't understand what you mean?

@Chris Webb wrote:
Or if what you are trying to do is have a separate mailbox for things that the user can access then you can setup the shared mailboxes as additional mailboxes on the Outlook.

Can you explain this more for me?

Thanks

You can have one mailboxes with 6 aliases so they all go to the one mailbox if that’s the only requirement.
The best questions to ask here are

1.) How many of those 6 addresses do you need to reply to people as? All 6 or only 1?

2.) Do you want to keep the mail separate for those 6 addresses or in only 1 mailbox?

3.) Do you need to do 1 and 2 above on a mobile phone

That should point us in the right direction!

Best, Chris

No, info@mydomain-1.com.au & info@mydomain-2.com.au will not count as duplicate. You might get into some troubles creating them from the UI, as it has the bad habit of enforcing uniqueness for the mailnickame attribute (the part in front of the @ sign), but you can work around it by creating them via PowerShell.

So if you create a single user account and one or more shared mailboxes for the other email addresses, you would only need a single license.

@Christopher Hoard wrote:
The best questions to ask here are
1.) How many of those 6 addresses do you need to reply to people as? All 6 or only 1?
2.) Do you want to keep the mail separate for those 6 addresses or in only 1 mailbox?
3.) Do you need to do 1 and 2 above on a mobile phone
That should point us in the right direction!
Best, Chris

Yes I would like to be able to do all of the above 3

In that case, I would personally recommend either

- 6 Exchange Online Plan 1 licences

If you intend to use these in Outlook in a local version of Outlook, the web and mobile (bringing your own copy of Outlook/Office)

- 1 Business Premium and 5 Exchange Online

If you want to do all the above but haven’t got a copy of Outlook/Office

You may also want to consider

- 6 Exchange kiosk mailboxes

If you intend to just intend to use the web and mobile device to access the mailboxes. Note that kiosk mailboxes are only 2Gb in size and cannot be set up in a desktop version of Outlook

These are the options given you want to be able to reply from all mailboxes across all devices and store the mail, both sent and received separately in each mailbox.

Others may recommend 1/2 Exchange Online licence and 4/5 shared mailboxes and it’s true you could look to configure them on the mobile app via IMAP or wait until they are fully supported, however it is just easier to configure them on all devices and have the functionality you want with standard mailboxes.

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

Thanks for the detailed response @Christopher Hoard 

Not sure I can go the expense of 6 licenses for 1 user.

Does sound like I could get something like what I want with 1 license Shared Mailbox can have a password and login enabled without license but looks like it is unsupported?

@Vasil Michev wrote:

This "feature" has been around for years, but despite probing Microsoft numerous times about it, we haven't received a clear answer. Until we do so, assume that it's unsupported, and that it breaks the license agreement.

best response confirmed by T-B-P (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yeah, that’s correct - and Vasil is right. It is a bit of a rock and a hard place situation. I guess you can put it two ways

1.) If cost is an issue you can look to go with shared mailboxes unsupported, probably breaking the licence agreement or with limited functionality for what you ideally want. Shared mailboxes do work with Outlook Desktop and OWA. People have - for some time configured shared mailboxes via IMAP in the Outlook app for IOS for example, however, this isn’t great for a clean experience.

2.) Go with a higher cost and use standard mailboxes. If you don’t need to use the mailboxes in Outlook for desktop and only the web and on mobile then Kiosk mailboxes are the way to go which are cheaper than Exchange Online mailboxes.

Ultimately, with SMB’s, this is a very grey area because lots want the functionality without the cost involved. Unfortunately, trying to use shared mailboxes as if they standard mailboxes has these kind of issues.

In short, if you aren’t bothered about mobile, then it would probably be the one licence and shared mailboxes.

Hope that clarifies!

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

Also how do I read the 50GB storage limits for mailboxes Storage limits across standalone plans , 50GB all up or 50GB for each?

50Gb for each!

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard wrote:
50Gb for each!

So 1 user mailbox and 5 shared mailboxes = 300GB ?

Correct!

Best, Chris
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by T-B-P (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Yeah, that’s correct - and Vasil is right. It is a bit of a rock and a hard place situation. I guess you can put it two ways

1.) If cost is an issue you can look to go with shared mailboxes unsupported, probably breaking the licence agreement or with limited functionality for what you ideally want. Shared mailboxes do work with Outlook Desktop and OWA. People have - for some time configured shared mailboxes via IMAP in the Outlook app for IOS for example, however, this isn’t great for a clean experience.

2.) Go with a higher cost and use standard mailboxes. If you don’t need to use the mailboxes in Outlook for desktop and only the web and on mobile then Kiosk mailboxes are the way to go which are cheaper than Exchange Online mailboxes.

Ultimately, with SMB’s, this is a very grey area because lots want the functionality without the cost involved. Unfortunately, trying to use shared mailboxes as if they standard mailboxes has these kind of issues.

In short, if you aren’t bothered about mobile, then it would probably be the one licence and shared mailboxes.

Hope that clarifies!

Best, Chris

View solution in original post