SOLVED

What are Microsoft plans on replacing Legacy Edge in before March 9?

Silver Contributor

Not sure if this is the correct Hub to ask about, but i think this is the only one i found mentioning Edge. So, i have read that old Edge will be supported until March 2021. I wonder if there are any plans to release some mandatory Security update to WSUS/SCCM/Windows Update to force the upgrade to Chromium Edge. We can deploy it via MSI of course, but many won't do that and then it will end up in many people being with insecure browser even if they run updates. I'm guessing that MS can maybe do that for home users and change it from being optional to mandatory. But i mostly wonder about Enterprise.

4 Replies

@wroot Hello!  You are at the right place for MS Edge Enterprise discussions :smile:

Please see this article we recently published: 

Upgrading to the new Microsoft Edge through Windows Update (expanded) - Microsoft Tech Community

Beginning no earlier than July 30, 2020, Microsoft will update Microsoft Edge Legacy to the new Microsoft Edge browser by Windows Update on Windows 10 devices in education and business.

This will only impact Windows Update-connected education and business devices. This update will not impact devices in education and business updated by Windows Update for Business (WUfB) or by Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Business devices will be updated starting on August 31, 2020. This will be a phased rollout and you will be notified via the standard WU update process.

Hopefully that helps!  Thanks! 

-Kelly 

So this says this will not affect WUfB or WSUS managed devices. My question is are there plans to release such update for WUfB and WSUS? Which will replace the legacy Edge with Chromium once approved/deployed or should we plan to do this by deploying Chromium MSI with other means?

best response confirmed by wroot (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@wroot Hello - Yesterday we released an Update in WSUS for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10.  Please see the following for more information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4584642/update-in-wsus-for-the-new-microsoft-edge   Thanks! 

-Kelly

Thanks. Will check this out.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by wroot (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@wroot Hello - Yesterday we released an Update in WSUS for the new Microsoft Edge for Windows 10.  Please see the following for more information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4584642/update-in-wsus-for-the-new-microsoft-edge   Thanks! 

-Kelly

View solution in original post