Problems with Enterprise Mode (IE Mode) in recent builds ?

Brass Contributor

We are using the Enterprise Mode Site List to open specific internal pages using the IE rendering engine. (Primarily for our ERP app which requires Java Web Start... Not supported under Chrome / Chromium.... )

This has been working perfectly almost two years. We were using it before Edge Chromium, and now too with Edge Chromium..... Until recently, this has worked very well.

In the past few weeks, the experience of opening pages in IE mode has become inconsistent. Sometimes the page will open in IE mode, sometimes the page will open in a standard Edge Chromium tab... If I look at the config in edge://compat/enterprise ... All the expected pages are listed with Engine IE11 mode listed (and the XML version number is current)... So obviously the browser is downloading the Enterprise Mode XML file from our internal web server without issue...

This all seems to have started with Version 86.0.622.38 ... And still seems to be happening in .48 too (the latest release build).  Often times opening a new Edge session will cause the IE Mode sites to open correctly in IE mode again.    Also, using the compat/enterprise "Force Update" button will also cause the session to work correctly again.  (But the SiteList has not changed in more than 6 weeks.)

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot why Edge is not opening the designated pages, using the correct mode?

25 Replies
@SteveSta thanks for the info! I too noticed that I was more likely to have the problem when I went back to an idle page/tab... but I never spent the time to actually confirm it was consistent or repeatable.

@jpochedley @SteveSta @wbabbit Happy Friday!  The fix was released to Stable yesterday, Version 86.0.622.58.  Let us know if you are still having issues after updating.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

thanks for the update!

I encountered this on SharePoint - Open With Explorer feature. I needed Edge to run in ie11 mode to continue to enable this feature. Then recently found sometimes the feature is enabled but sometimes disabled.

Then I saw these posts. Great to see it resolved. If not it would be challenging once we rollout to everyone (users will be reporting issues that happened intermittently. :)

-Will

@Kelly_Y Glad to see this fix in Edge so quickly, kudos!  

However, do you know when the fix is coming to Edge Beta?  Edge Beta is still on 87.0.664.18 and I can still reproduce the issue on this version.

Edge Beta is the version all of my testers are on as part of our Edge update ring, so still have a lot of users impacted by this.

And while I appreciate the quick fix for Edge, I do find it strange that the fix seems to have skipped Edge Beta.   Thanks!

@SteveSta Hello!  I just got word from the team, we haven't yet released a MS Edge Beta update since this issue was fixed.  We are expecting an update for MS Edge Beta this week and it should include the fix.  Thanks for your patience! 

-Kelly

@SteveSta Hello - MS Edge Beta Version 87.0.664.24 from November 2 should include the fix.  Thanks! 

-Kelly