Policy to set managed storage for an extension in Chromium Edge for Mac

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are trying to install a browser extension in Chromium Edge for both Windows and Mac.
Our extension has a schema for the managed storage that we are deploying alongside the extension using the Extensions Policy.
In Windows Edge Chromium everything works as expected: the extension gets installed using the ForceInstall policy and has access to the managed storage value.
In MacOS however the extension does get installed using the ForceInstall but it does not have access to the managed storage value...

I followed the same rules as Google Chrome by using a mobileConfig file that I'm adding to the Profiles.

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-policy-for-extensions
For the ForceInstall policy:

<key>com.microsoft.Edge</key>
<dict>
<key>Forced</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>mcx_preference_settings</key>
<dict>
<key>ExtensionInstallForcelist</key>
<array>
<string>[MyExtensionID];[LinkToMyUpdateXml]</string>
</array>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

For the managed storage policy:

<key>com.microsoft.Edge.extensions.[MyExtensionID]</key>
<dict>
<key>Forced</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>mcx_preference_settings</key>
<dict>
<key>extensionConfig</key>
<string>"Value of the extension config"</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
</dict>

To summarize: The managed storage is working well in Chrome Windows+Mac and in Edge Chromium on Windows. It does not work in Edge Chromium on MacOS.

1. Is this functionality supposed to work on Edge Chromium on MacOS?

2. If so, what are we doing wrong?

(Note: A similar question was asked in the past by a colleague but was not answered)

7 Replies

@Nir_WalkMe Hi!  Thanks for your post!  Sorry your colleague's post wasn't answered!  I've reached out to our Extension team with your questions.  We'll follow up with any updates/insights from them.  

-Kelly

@Nir_WalkMe Hello! I've just heard from our developers that a fix for this has been released in the newest version of MS Edge Canary Channel for Mac (https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/) 

Please take a look and if you are still having issues please let us know!  Thanks!

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y hi, we have the same problem :(

I couldn't find docs on how to manage "managed storage" for our extensions in Edge on Mac.

(I did find how to manage extensions in general - but it's not the same!)

So the detailed question is: how to prepare plist config for Edge on Mac to achieve chromium functionality: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/configuring-policy-for-extensions/

@MichalZieba Hi!  Microsoft Edge does support the use of chrome.storage.managed API.  The team is aware there is no official documentation and it is on their roadmap to work on the documentation, but currently there is no ETA.  I will pass on your feedback.  

Have you tried the example previously mentioned in the thread by @Nir_WalkMe ?  

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it a lot.

We're using a similar config for policies for Chrome/Edge on Windows and Chrome on Macs.

Sadly, only setting values for managed storage on Mac for Edge doesn't work. We tried a couple of possible variants, but none seems to work. That's why I was asking for docs.

API of the browser works, but we cannot set these values from the system perspective via plist. 

Would be great to know what is the correct plist policy naming/schema to inject these values into managed storage. For Chromium it's com.google.Chrome.extensions.<ExtensionID>

@MichalZieba Let me check with the team, I'll follow up with any information from them.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@MichalZieba I just heard back from the team.  They said that the PLIST should be named as com.microsoft.Edge.extensions.<extension_id>.  

The team has provided a sample file but Tech Community has a limitation to the type of files that can be shared and it is not letting me upload the plist file.  I'll include the information directly here.  

Title: com.microsoft.Edge.extensions.okmamjclngbafeplaapaihlcjiaplgom.plist

File Contents: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>TestKey</key>
    <string>ValueChrome</string>	
</dict>
</plist>

-Kelly