SOLVED

Manifest v3 and Extensions

Iron Contributor

I realize that Microsoft is following Chromium on switching to the Manifest V3 standard for browser extensions, but I would implore Microsoft to reconsider allowing some MV2 extensions like uBlock to exist on the Microsoft Edge Extension web store.

In enterprise environments, there are limited applications that allow this type of functionality in browsers, and using an extension like uBlock has allowed our users' browsing to remain secure (ie: no spammy popups, redirects, ads, malware links, etc). It also helps save network bandwidth at home and in the office by blocking these web requests before they can be initiated by the site.

Browser such as Brave (which also run on Chromium) are also continuing to support certain MV2 extensions, so there is no technical reason why Microsoft couldn't do the same.

If MV3 does go ahead as planned and remove MV2 extensions, then there may be room for Microsoft to implement some sort of its own malicious adblock/redirection blocking in Edge (SmartScreen/Enhanced Security currently does not do what extensions like uBlock Origin do).

3 Replies
best response confirmed by lexcyn (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@lexcyn Thanks for the feedback!  I've passed it on to the team!  

Also, there is continuing conversation in the uBlock GitHub regarding this topic:

Chrome extension manifest v3 proposal · Issue #338 · uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues (github.com) 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y thanks! I've been keeping track there as well. I see Gorhill has released a Mv3 compatible extension that we are currently testing, although it lacks a lot of enterprise features that the current Mv2 extension has.

Thanks a lot @lexcyn for bringing up this very important issue again, as well as to @Kelly_Y for passing it on. 
I'm afraid most users, and even many insiders here, are not really aware of the profound changes that switching to Manifest v3 and thus abandoning v2 extensions will mean to their own browsing experience and future use of internet in general. 

For those who are not familiar with it, a Manifest is a file within an application that specifies things like permissions and dependencies, determined by the app's contributor, and is a mandatory component that has to be included in any extension. Simply said, a Manifest is like the 'rulebook' for a developer and defines what an extension can do and what not. 

So, with Google forcing this switch to the new Manifest v3 in its Chromium project by mid of 2023, they will restrict extensions from important actions like redirecting sites and blocking web requests, which can indeed enhance security a bit, but will also brake add block extensions like uBlock Origin. 

Google's intention for this is pretty obvious. Since add blockers severely reduce their profits, especially on their prime cash cow youtube, they now try to abandon them and give us users an unhindered experience of add galore again ;)
But like you mentioned above, uBlock and similar are not only add blockers, I too consider them as an important security enhancement, and like with you, it's a mandatory extension to any browser in our company for years now. 

So please Microsoft, keep this in mind on your considerations about migrating to v3, at least think about the concept lexcyn proposed (keeping v2 for certain extensions) and give it a try. 

Btw, this is Microsoft's latest statement (Oct 27th) on migration to Manifest v3: 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions-chromium/developer-guide/manifest-v3 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lexcyn (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@lexcyn Thanks for the feedback!  I've passed it on to the team!  

Also, there is continuing conversation in the uBlock GitHub regarding this topic:

Chrome extension manifest v3 proposal · Issue #338 · uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues (github.com) 

-Kelly

View solution in original post