SOLVED

IE11 legacy sites configured in Enterprise site list still try to open in Edge Chromium

Copper Contributor

Good day,

We have a number of internal legacy websites configured in our enterprise site list to open in IE11 - as seen below: 

<site url="website.com">
    <compat-mode>Default</compat-mode>
    <open-in>IE11</open-in>
  </site>

Since rolling out Edge Chromium and setting the browser as default, our internal legacy apps (set to open in IE) opens in IE, but Edge Chromium also tries to open these websites - the url will appear in Edge Chromium, but a blank page appears.

Is there perhaps anyway around this?  This issue did not occur with normal Edge, prior to the upgrade to Edge Chromium.

6 Replies

Hello @craighZA 

did you try to set the IE11 legacy sites with the app="true" attribute in your Enterprise site list according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode-sitelist ? 

Works well in our environment on Win 8.1 and Win 10 clients.

<site url="website.com">

<open-in app="true">IE11</open-in>

</site>

@craighZA in my experience, it is possible an authentication or other background get request could be causing the redirection to fail or redirect back to Edge mode. In which case you may need to define the authentication url (or other background urls) as neutral.  Can use debug>Network or some other capture tool such as Fiddler to see the requests.

e.g

<site url="website.com">
      <open-in>IE11</open-in>
   </site>
<site url="sso.website.com">
     <open-in>none</open-in>
   </site>

@Neon01 

Thanks Neon01, I've tested your suggestion but the problem  still persists.  Maybe something I should have mentioned in the initial post - when accessing these legacy pages directly in IE11, the page opens up perfectly fine without Edge Chromium opening.  The problem only occurs when clicking a shortcut or hyperlink of the legacy url - in which case, both Chromium Edge and IE11 open with the Chromium Edge tab displaying a blank page and IE11 opening the page successfully.  

@DugTan 

Thanks DugTan - I don't think this is the case, as the website opens up perfectly fine when navigating directly to the page via IE11 - it is only when clicking on a hyperlink or shortcut of the legacy website that both IE11 and Edge Chromium opens.

best response confirmed by craighZA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@craighZA Hello!  I believe the IE mode team made a change starting with Microsoft Edge Canary Channel build 88.0.698.0 that should fix the issue with the "leftover" open tab in MS Edge.  

Would you be able to test with V88?  Currently it has been released to the Beta Channel and coming later this month to the Stable Channel.  Microsoft Edge release schedule | Microsoft Docs

Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

Thanks Kelly_Y- seems to be working perfectly.  I'll wait for the production release a the end of the month.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by craighZA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@craighZA Hello!  I believe the IE mode team made a change starting with Microsoft Edge Canary Channel build 88.0.698.0 that should fix the issue with the "leftover" open tab in MS Edge.  

Would you be able to test with V88?  Currently it has been released to the Beta Channel and coming later this month to the Stable Channel.  Microsoft Edge release schedule | Microsoft Docs

Thanks! 

-Kelly

View solution in original post