Feb 18 2020 05:37 AM
Feb 18 2020 05:37 AM
I'm trying to use the Enterprise Site List in Edge chromium. I read and followed the instructions and set the GP settings as mentioned in the MS instructions page.
The site list xml file was created using "Enterprise Mode Site List Manager v2" and worked fine on the pre-chromium Edge versions. I loads fine when trying to open in the browser.
I see the set policies in the 'edge://policy/' page (exported json file attached), it shows correctly with the correct URL addresses in the 'edge://compat/enterprise' page, but when I try to actually open one of the URLs, it loads up via Edge chromium and not IE, as I would expect.
I'm Running Windows 10 Enterprise OS Version 1803 (Build 17134.1304)
and Edge Version 80.0.361.54 (Official build) (64-bit)
Would appreciate any help on this, as I'm sure I followed all requirements, but fail to see the results.
Feb 19 2020 01:56 PM
@eladz6 I misread your initial post.
Sites configured to open in IE mode through the site list will load in Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) on the same tab. The only indicator that the site is in IE mode is the IE11 icon on the top left next to the Refresh button.
It looks like you are expecting the site to open in the IE11 standalone app and not in Edge. If this is correct, you will need to add an additional attribute to the <open-in> tag.
Feb 19 2020 09:15 PM
@Shilpa_Subramanian Thank you, but no, that's not the issue - I want the site to open in MSEdge using the IE engine. Since that didn't work, I tried the open in IE option, but that didn't work either.
The sites in the site list still open only in Edge with the Chromium engine, despite all settings set to open them using the IE engine.
Any ideas on how to resolve this, or check why it's not working as expected?
Feb 20 2020 10:00 AMSolution
@eladz6 That is odd. We can take a look. Can you please send us the following -
1. A screenshot of edge://compat/iediagnostic
2. Start Edge with the command line "msedge.exe --enable-logging --v=1 --vmodule=*/dual_engine/*"
This will create a log in "%localappdata%\microsoft\Edge<Canary/Dev/Beta>\user data\chrome_debug.log"
This log is human readable and will contain URLs. Please proof read to ensure there is no PII information included before you share back with us.
Feel free to share the log via Private Message if you prefer.
Feb 20 2020 09:53 PM - edited Feb 20 2020 09:54 PM
Did you choose "Internet Explorer Mode" in "Configure Internet Explorer Integration" setting in the Group Policy editor?
Edit: 3rd picture in this URL ->
Feb 22 2020 10:08 PM
@Shilpa_Subramanian Attached. Thank you.
I see in the log the following, after I placed www.google.com in the SiteList file:
"Site found on sitelist. engine == Edge, allow-redirect == 0, for_redirect == 0, IsHostingInternetExplorer == 0, IsRemoteDebugging == 0 for: https://www.google.com/"
So it seems it does recognize the site list, but uses the wrong engine (Edge instead of IE).
I got the same results when setting the SiteList XML file to open the site with IE11, as well.
Feb 24 2020 10:56 AM
@eladz6 Thanks for sharing the logs. Can you resend the log file when you change the XML entry to be IE11 for google.com? Here's guidance:
1. Update the site list XML entry as follows:
2. Once you make this change, go to edge://compat/enterprise and click on Force Update next to the XML location.
The list should update and you'll see the column for Engine read IE11 for the google.com entry.
3. Once this is complete, try navigating to google.com from Edge using the command line to retrieve the log again.
Feb 24 2020 10:12 PM
@Shilpa_Subramanian Sure, I'm attaching the log.
To my surprise - this time it did open www.google.com using an IE engine. The surprise stems from the fact that when I tried the same thing - changing the sitelist value to open with IE instead of Edge, then forcing update and opening the site - it still used the Edge engine.
Apr 20 2020 02:51 AM
I see the same issue at our company, I have set the GPO to point to a Enterprise Site list, but sites don't open in IE.
If I go to the link, I can read the xml file. But when I go to
And try to click on Force Update I get this error :
I have also updated the Enterprise mode site list manager to the latest version and made a new file with this version.
Nov 11 2020 02:14 PM
Make sure you download the updated admx files for edge. Also, not sure if it made a difference, but I configured the same settings under computer and user policy.