SOLVED

Disable Infobar: Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading PDF files

Steel Contributor

When opening a Link to a PDF-Document in Edge v90 there is an Infobar shown: "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading PDF files?"

Set-Edge-as-Default-reading-PDF.png

It seems this Functionality is configured with "default_pdf_handler_infobar_last_declined": "0" => after clicking "X" it is filled with an timestamp like "13265308169998304" and this Info-Bar disappears.

I found no Policy to disable this Infobar.

User-FileType-Association of Win10-OS is configured to open "Adobe Reader" for PDF-Files, but following links to PDF-Files inside Edge should use the included Edge-PDF-rendering-Engine. So all I want to do is to disable this Infobar on all our machines.

19 Replies
Hello!
Probably system- notification settings - turn off notifications from the settings app! or other notifications and suggestions from Windows!
Please write what you think?
As you can see in my Screenshot in the first post this is not a System-Notification of Windows.
It is an Edge-InfoBar.
Agreed, this is unwelcome behaviour and needs a GPO asap to disable.
Hello
I have in MTC ignore HTML and pasted images are not visible .
Good luck

@Gunnar Haslinger Hi!  Thanks for reaching out!  I'm checking with the PDF team if it is on their roadmap to create a policy for the Infobar. 

Also, if you haven't had a chance yet, you can also submit feedback for this request through the browser? ("..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback)

We'll let you know any updates/insights from the team!  Thanks! 

-Kelly 

Hi Gunnar,

We are looking to achieve the same experience as you have mentioned. Can I ask where you observed the following please:

It seems this Functionality is configured with "default_pdf_handler_infobar_last_declined": "0" => after clicking "X" it is filled with an timestamp like "13265308169998304" and this Info-Bar disappears.

Thanks

Rob

Hi @robzlr,

I'm not sure what exactly you like to know.

Are you asking about where to find the default_pdf_handler_infobar_last_declined preference?

Viewing all Preferences: edge://prefs-internals/

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Preferences (json-File)

best response confirmed by Gunnar Haslinger (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Gunnar Haslinger Hi!  Just wanted to pass along one workaround to remove the infobar.  I've heard that other organizations have enable the AlwaysOpenPdfExternally policy (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#alwaysopenpdfexternally).

The team is still discussing an enterprise policy to specifically disable the infobar and will keep you updated about that.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y, I can confirm that configuring that policy does indeed have a side effect of preventing the display of the Infobar but obviously that disables the functionality that some will be looking for (including me). We look forward to a policy targeting the disablement of the Infobar as encouraging the changing of file associations by end users is not desirable in our environment.

@Gunnar Haslinger, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Rob

Thanks @Kelly_Y for pointing out the AlwaysOpenPdfExternally policy.

But - as described in my initial post- our needs are as follows:

User-FileType-Association of Win10-OS is configured to open "Adobe Reader" for PDF-Files, but following links to PDF-Files inside Edge should use the included Edge-PDF-rendering-Engine.

So the AlwaysOpenPdfExternally Workaround would not be our desired configuration.

Just want to follow up as other poster, this is not desired configuration for us. We have a scenario where all browser information is cleared and this always pops up every time.

@Amarjeet5 Thanks for reaching out!  We have not received any update from the PDF team yet but I have passed along your feedback.

-Kelly

Thanks for the update, a minor detail to provide is that we are using group policy to keep .pdf default to Adobe Reader. This has some business requirements currently however, we want to keep the default behavior of opening the PDF in Edge from a website.

So the actual behavior is fine, the prompt is not needed especially if we are using Group Policy to manage the .PDF extension in this scenario.

@Gunnar Haslinger @Amarjeet5 @esirvys @robzlr Hi Everyone!  In MS Edge V93 there is a new policy to control the PDF message.  

Here is a link to the documentation for the ShowPDFDefaultRecommendationsEnabled policy: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-policies#showpdfdefaultrecommendationsena...

Please take a look.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

Thanks @Kelly_Y great! I already tested with 93-Beta, looking forward to deploy 93 Stable which is announced for first week in September.
Enterprise MSI Package of Edge 93 (Stable) is available now. Already Test-deployed: I can confirm the Infobar can now be successfully disabled. Thanks @Kelly_Y and Team!

@Gunnar Haslinger Great to hear!  Thanks for following up!  :smile:

Have a great weekend! 

-Kelly

@Gunnar Haslinger 

this is great news.

can you show steps to disable this? is it via GPO for big Edge Roll outs over 1K+ would be helpful.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Gunnar Haslinger (Steel Contributor)
Solution

@Gunnar Haslinger Hi!  Just wanted to pass along one workaround to remove the infobar.  I've heard that other organizations have enable the AlwaysOpenPdfExternally policy (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-policies#alwaysopenpdfexternally).

The team is still discussing an enterprise policy to specifically disable the infobar and will keep you updated about that.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

View solution in original post