why aren't chrome extensions being updated

Deleted
Not applicable

I have installed quite a few chrome extension in Edge chromium and they all work fine.  I just noticed today that they are not being automatically kept up to date.  Even if I click on update on the installed extension page they are not being updated.  This seems like a major flaw.  Am I doing something wrong?  Why are they not being updated?

Thanks,

Bill

5 Replies
Hi,
Same issue here on Edge insider canary channel..the update button seems to be a placebo, doesn't actually check for each extension updates when it says "checking" .

@Elliot Kirk

Can someone from Microsoft shed some light on this? Why aren't our extensions being updated? It doesn't do any good to support Chrome extensions if they don't get updated. Thanks, Bill

Hi @Deleted, @HotCakeX, are all extensions failing to update properly, or only extensions that you have installed from a specific store?  What extensions are you seeing the updates fail for?  The answers to these questions will help us narrow down the issues.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk wrote:

Hi @Deleted, @HotCakeX, are all extensions failing to update properly, or only extensions that you have installed from a specific store?  What extensions are you seeing the updates fail for?  The answers to these questions will help us narrow down the issues.  Thanks - Elliot

Hi,

the most important extension for me is ublock origin and I mostly keep an eye on it, downloaded from Chrome extension store, it usually takes some time around 10 days to be auto updated in Edge insider Canary. there might be other extensions too not updating but I'll have to check each of them.

@Elliot Kirk

Very strange. The two I noticed that were not updating were uBlock Origin and Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Both were installed from the Chrome Store. Other extensions from the Chrome Store were up to date (either because they did update correctly or because they hadn't had any updates since I installed them).

When I posted the problem I was using Edge Canary (not sure which version). I have since removed Canary and am using the Beta version 78.0276.14. In the Beta version both of these extensions did update to the latest version. So the problem may have been only on Canary. I'm not sure.

Bill