What are key differences between MS Edge and Google Chrome?

Copper Contributor

Over the years I've gone to great efforts to keep Google Chrome off all of my machines. I believe Google is too flippant about helping themselves to our data and one of the most prolific data gathering apps is Chrome (the other is Android). I've been an ardent supporter of Microsoft's Internet Explorer going back since its earliest versions and I've believed Microsoft when it has said that keeping my data private is a major concern. Now you've switched to the same source code that Google uses in its Chrome snoopware. Does anybody have any good reasons for me to stay with Edge or should I continue with a 3rd party browser? As of this moment, I'm most likely going to make a switch. Change my mind.

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply

Hello@Sean Sherwin 

the list of the reasons is long to be honest

To begin with, Edge is not using Chrome's code, it's using Chromium's code which is an open source thing.

open source means Microsoft can and Did remove all of the Google-related stuff like data gathering etc from it, so nothing to worry about there.

also there are many unique features in Edge that don't exist in Chrome.

• Collections
  • Tracking Prevention
  • Reading Mode and Many of the features it's packing (Picture dictionary, Read Aloud etc etc)
  • Built in Application Guard support
  • Better handling of progressive web apps support
  • upcoming features include: Vertical Tabs, Smart copy.

list is long, these are just few of them. the best way is to try it yourself and notice the change gradually when you work with it.