SOLVED

Video and audio desync in YouTube

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I am not sure where to report this (and I am happy to report this properly elsewhere), but I have started to notice an issue with YouTube videos - the video and audio start in sync, but after 15 minutes or so, they are visibly out of sync. I have checked multiple browsers and:

• Microsoft Edge Dev has it
  • Microsoft Edge (release) has it 
  • Chrome has it
  • Firefox doesn't have it

So it would appear that it is something related to Chromium. Restarting either the GPU process or the Audio process brings them back in sync. Hardware acceleration does not seem to have an effect on this problem - it happens with both enabled and disabled. I am not sure when did it start. All drivers are up to date.

ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QS_GA503QS

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Version: 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS with Radeon Graphics, 3301 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU

Integrated GPU: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x1638)

From the debug info in the YouTube player it seems that the graphics card that is used is AMD Radeon:

"gpu": "ANGLE_(AMD,_AMD_Radeon(TM)_Graphics_Direct3D11_vs_5_0_ps_5_0,_D3D11-27.20.14044.2001)",
"debug_playbackQuality": "hd1080",

I haven't tried forcing the NVIDIA GPU to be used. I am open to any suggestions.

3 Replies

@VladislavKosev 

UPDATE:

I've forced the browser to use the NVIDIA graphics card and the desync does not occur so it seems related to the AMD Radeon video card.

I've also checked for newer versions of the drivers of chipset and the graphics card and it turns out there are newer ones, so I've installed them. I'll test tomorrow. Now the debug info reads:

"gpu": "ANGLE_(AMD,_AMD_Radeon(TM)_Graphics_Direct3D11_vs_5_0_ps_5_0,_D3D11-30.0.13025.5005)",
best response confirmed by VladislavKosev (Brass Contributor)
Solution
So the updated drivers solved the issue. No desync now.

And this problem still exist in Surface Pro 9 SQ3

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VladislavKosev (Brass Contributor)
Solution
So the updated drivers solved the issue. No desync now.

View solution in original post