Vertical tabs, Smart copy and Password Monitor are coming to Edge!

MVP

Microsoft just uploaded this video:

https://youtu.be/yg5cUyPBHjI

updated the What's Next page with new stuff:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/whats-next

at some points in the video it demonstrates a sidebar (0:20 and 0:47), it looks very good and fluent, it's apparently for vertical tabs

Vertical tabs

It's easy to end up with a ton of tabs open. The more you have open, the more difficult it becomes to find, switch between, and manage them. With vertical tabs, you can easily shift to view your tabs in a pane to the side. This allows you to easily see the titles and access controls like mute and close. It even makes it easy to reorder your tabs, with the ability to drag and drop to rearrange. When you want to focus on a specific page, you can collapse the pane. Anytime you need to switch between tabs, you can hover over the pane to see all the information you need. The new Microsoft Edge is the only browser to offer built-in vertical tab navigation allowing for a more streamlined experience.

Smart copy

Copying and pasting content from the web can be tricky – selecting the content can be challenging and pasting doesn't always look like the original. Smart copy makes it easier to select, copy, and paste content that you find across the web, maintaining source site's formatting, spacing and text. Use your mouse to select any area or content (including charts, images, etc.) and when you paste, you will get the option to paste as an image or to retain the original source formatting, saving you valuable time. This is one of the many ways the new Microsoft Edge is providing tools to help you be more productive while browsing the web.

Password Monitor

Data breaches worldwide have been on the rise and the security of your data is one of our top priorities. Password Monitor on the new Microsoft Edge notifies you when your online credentials have been detected on the dark web. If Microsoft Edge uncovers a match with your saved passwords, you will receive a notification on the browser informing that your credentials have been compromised. Through a dashboard view, people can see a list of all affected accounts, visit the websites directly, and take action accordingly.

28 Replies
Can't wait for all of these features to be introduced! They look really promising :)
Btw did you notice in the video for Smart Copy, the pop menu is populated with one more option, Screenshot?!
Oh no but I saw it now, it's cool, also Collections button has an arrow next to it, i wonder what it's about :3
I was hoping to see how they're planning to implement web page inking, i think it will come in the next phase.

But did you notice that none of these features were suggested in top feedback list? it was a surprise

@HotCakeX Yeah, that's a little surprising, but from what I can tell from a little searching is that not a lot of users were asking for those features and so the employees themselves wanted to add them, so that may not have met the criteria. Kind of ironic how you're the person who delivers in depth updates instead of Microsoft to some extent.

The vertical tabs look nice and I seem to recall hearing Firefox used to have them, but I still prefer and am waiting for scrollable tabs, maybe along with the ability to adjust the size of the tab bar.

@HotCakeX Thank you buddy! This makes my today much better :)

@HotCakeX And here I would like to see these two features together with vertical tabs, at least please DEV team take them into your mind and think about it:

- switching between tabs with mouse wheel

- tabs list for easier navigation (Ctrl+Tab)

- highlight duplicate opened tabs on mouse hover

- add an indicator for newly opened tabs to easily recognize them

- grouping tabs from the same domain (please check Vivaldi browser, it is really cooooool, better then tab grouping - I mean it is much better)

@cjc2112 

Spoiler

@cjc2112 wrote:

@HotCakeX Yeah, that's a little surprising, but from what I can tell from a little searching is that not a lot of users were asking for those features and so the employees themselves wanted to add them, so that may not have met the criteria. Kind of ironic how you're the person who delivers in depth updates instead of Microsoft to some extent.

The vertical tabs look nice and I seem to recall hearing Firefox used to have them, but I still prefer and am waiting for scrollable tabs, maybe along with the ability to adjust the size of the tab bar.

I'm following Edgedev on Twitter and also subscribed to Windows and Edge channels on YouTube, notifications help notice the changes sooner :)

Yeah scrollable tabs are useful and they should be added, from the video and Gifs it looks like we can only move tab strip from top to the left, I wish we could move it even to the bottom, the UI would become so flexible and compatible with people's preferences.

I think right now is the best time to give them these feedbacks about upcoming features because they haven't finalized them (i assume) so they can make fundamental changes to the design

@HotCakeX 

There are more features than these which were announced. Am I right? Because carefully check the context menu (in smart copy gif part). 

I see "screenshots" https://edgetipscdn.microsoft.com/insider-site/images/whats-next-smart-copy.0d2ca392.mp4

Anything else?

@Deleted 

Well there is a button at top left corner but I don't know if it's a dedicated button for Set tabs aside or it's the button that switches tab strip from horizontal to vertical style, I assume it's the latter

Vertical Tabs were being requested by many, though it was not in the Top Feedbacks.
Password Monitor & Smart Copy are new features.
The Editor extension is a great enhancement to the Spell Checker available in Edge already, harnessing AI capabilities & a powerful competitor to Grammarly.

@Rohit Yadav 

Spoiler

@Rohit Yadav wrote:
Vertical Tabs were being requested by many, though it was not in the Top Feedbacks.
Password Monitor & Smart Copy are new features.
The Editor extension is a great enhancement to the Spell Checker available in Edge already, harnessing AI capabilities & a powerful competitor to Grammarly.

there are more highly requested features, vertical tabs wasn't that much wanted by community, I found only one post here that was specifically talking about it.

Cortana integration, web page inking, acrylic theme are among more popular features..

but I still like vertical tab.

Wonder when they will start pushing these to canary for testing.... Hope soon!

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile In my opinion - first new feature from the list in 4 weeks in canary. I suspect password manager :)

Yeah, that would be nice, or Vert Tabs or any of them for that matter...... Maybe test all at once... 8-D

Dennis5mie

@Dennis5mile Actually keep in mind that password manager is already in Google Chrome (and Chromium), so it would not take so much effort to integrate it (it is already in core, just disabled... so they need to polish it a little bit). Just my opinion, we will see :)

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile wrote:
Wonder when they will start pushing these to canary for testing.... Hope soon!

From the videos they look pretty ready to me for a Canary experiment, they weren't CGI

@Deleted 

@Deleted wrote:

Actually keep in mind that password manager is already in Google Chrome (and Chromium), so it would not take so much effort to integrate it (it is already in core, just disabled... so they need to polish it a little bit). Just my opinion, we will see

Password manager is already in Edge too, but what they are talking about is Password monitor and it needs an online dashboard to create first to show whether a password already being used by a user is leaked online or not.

@HotCakeX Sorry, I meant Password manager - this one is already in Gogole Chrome and Firefox. They use public data from leaks.