Unable to open PDFs in Acrobat Reader when clicking Open File

Iron Contributor

When a PDF is downloaded and I click open file it opens in Edge instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  Adobe Acrobat is set as the default PDF and I can also double-click any PDF in File Explorer and it opens in Adobe Acrobat.  I also clicked on the [ ... ] to the right of the Open file link and the option is not there to select Always open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I have removed and re-installed Adobe Acrobat Reader as well as Edge and that does not resolve the issue.  Any one else have this issue?

3 Replies

@RichLusk We appreciate you reporting this! A couple of questions for you:

1. What channel and version of MSFT Edge are you using? (Can be found at edge://settings/help)
  2. If you haven't yet, can you please submit detailed feedback and diagnostics through the browser? (Shift+Alt+I or "..." menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback)
  3. Have you tried changing it to "Always open" option? If so, what was the result?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@Deleted Thank you for the reply.  

1.  Version 84.0.522.63 (Official build) (64-bit)

2.  Yes I submitted feedback but only received acknowledgement that it was received.

3.  Where is the "Always Open" option that you are referring to?  If you are referring to clicking the three dots and choosing "Always Open" for Adobe Acrobat that option does not exist.  Even though I have removed and reinstalled both Edge and Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Same issue! Please advise quickly. I interact with many PDFs, and need to be able to open them in my full-feature Adobe as the default. FYI, I don't use Edge as my default browser when WFH; I use Firefox. Either way, I don't want to open PDFs from Outlook in the cloud, I want to open them in my Adobe Acrobat DC.