Top Feedback Summary for February 11

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hello, Insiders! We’re back with this week’s Top Feedback Summary. We have a couple updates that you all will be interested in.

First, we added a new item to our list! Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents is now Under Review. This feature would allow users to use the table of contents in a PDF file as an interactive feature where one can click on an item in the list and go straight to it.

We think you all will be excited to see that one of our top items has moved to In Discussion: Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge. We hope you will hop into the discussion thread to let us know how this feature was helpful for you.

That’s it for this week! We will see you next week after the President’s Day holiday here in the US.

Here’s the full updated list:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for February

Favorites sync issues, including sync not working, deleted favorites reappearing, and favorites being duplicated

10 weeks

Planned for February

Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

14 weeks

Planned for February

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

25 weeks

Planned for February

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

25 weeks

Planned for Summer

Enable sync of browsing history between devices

14 weeks

Planned

Edge cannot find devices to cast media

2 weeks

Planned

Make Edge available on Linux

3 weeks

Planned

Support read aloud of PDF files

3 weeks

Planned

Provide option to keep specific cookies when choosing to clear browsing data on close

13 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to add a share button to the tool bar

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Add the ability to ink on web pages

15 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

23 weeks

Planned

(Join the discussion)

Provide different options for sorting favorites

25 weeks

Planned

(Learn more)

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

25 weeks

Planned

Provide an option to prevent auto-play of video and audio when you open a website

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

20 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

21 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

23 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

25 weeks

In Discussion
(Join the discussion)

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

In Discussion

(Join the discussion)

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

25 weeks

Under Review

Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents

NEW!

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

25 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

25 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

25 weeks

Not Planned

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

13 weeks

Not Planned

(View the discussion)

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

23 weeks

And here’s the list of top “quality areas” that we’re actively working on in response to your feedback:

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

Edge should use less memory than it does

Edge should use less CPU than it does

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

Opening a new tab is too slow

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Not Planned – We don’t currently plan to address this feedback, though we will continue to track it and reconsider our approach if needed

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Planned - We have reviewed this feedback and have a plan to address it. However, we aren't ready to share a target time frame just yet. 

In Discussion – We’ve reviewed this feedback and to learn more we have started a discussion about it here in the Microsoft Edge Insider Forum

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

Archive of previously addressed topics:

Feedback

On this list for

Addressed on

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

20 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

22 weeks

Jan 22, 2020

Enable search in the extensions store

17 weeks

Dec 19, 2019

The taskbar icon is not updating to the new Microsoft Edge logo

1 week

Nov 14, 2019

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

12 weeks

Nov 14, 2019

YouTube.com does not render properly and appears extremely magnified

1 week

Nov 4, 2019

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

4 weeks

Nov 4, 2019

Improve discoverability of the home button since some users are asking for it. (Join the discussion)

8 weeks

October 29, 2019

Microsoft Edge is crashing whenever a new tab is opened from a link

1 week

October 22, 2019

Inking for PDF files

9 weeks

October 22, 2019

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

1 week

October 15, 2019

Show the New Tab Page in dark theme when the browser is in dark theme

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Add the ability to turn off the news feed on the new tab page

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

ClickOnce deployment of Windows applications from web pages

6 weeks

October 1, 2019

Website elements are being flipped upside down when switching between tabs

1 week

September 17, 2019

Sign-in profile picture is not always kept up to date

4 weeks

September 17, 2019

“Administrator Mode Detected” error message when opening the browser

2 weeks

September 4, 2019

Add a favorites button to the toolbar, for quicker access to favorites

1 week

August 29, 2019

Make it easier to share web content with other users and apps

1 week

August 29, 2019

Drop down menus in some web pages are not working

1 week

August 29, 2019

Add a dark theme to Microsoft Edge

Addressed before these posts started

Build translation capabilities into the browser

Delete browsing history on exit

Show favorites bar only on the new tab page

Bring back reading view

Sync data with my work or school account

36 Replies
What is the time frame for when a top feedback goes into discussion phase and before it is implemented in Edge canary for the first time?

I'm asking it because there are already many old discussion threads of top feedbacks but none of them have been implemented in Edge so far. they are 3 months old.

like these:

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

Aren't you gonna wrap them up and post a conclusion?

@MissyQ   Do you see any chance that either the "wimpy font" or "Whack-a-Mole" menu issues will make it to the list at any time in the foreseeable future?

This is a joke. Browsing history syncing delayed again until summer. Probably the most important feature gets delayed several months again. I'm done with this. Switching to Firefox at this very moment. Bye Bye.

Do something about the scroll bar. It doesn't change with the theme and looks ugly. Please bring the scroll bar as in the modern windows apps and make it collapsible when not in use.

Is it really more important than Extension syncing?
History can be generated dynamically, all the time, on any device. usually people are trying to get rid of their browsing history :)
but anyway, I believe things like that take time. there are manual ways to backup your history, one of them is by going to your User Data directory of Edge and copy the file called "History". paste it on another Edge installation folder and you'll have your History again.

@MissyQDiscussing the "Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window" for 20 weeks is a huge joke ! It's a crucial option to add !! I don't know why and how Edge started without it !!! and you still discussing it ????????????????????

@MissyQ  Also I'll paste this message with every time you renew this page since you guys don't care.

Now Edge has released officially and I'm still waiting for:
- Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window (Like in Firefox, IE and many others)
- Middle Mouse Clicks to open new tabs when clicked on the tabs bar (Like in Firefox)
- Move the opened tabs to the bookmarks toolbar by just dragging them with the mouse (Like in Firefox)
- Built-in Ad-Blocker (Like in Opera)
- Built-in VPN (Like in Opera)
- Importing from Firefox (Which doesn't exists on 90% of the machines I've tried) which is a MAJOR bug!! It's basically the first step I'm going to do "when" I move to Edge !!

So I'm not moving to Edge until these are added/fixed.. and trust me I want to move to Edge because I use almost all Microsoft products including Windows Defender,OneDrive, Office 356 and more! And everything is synced into my Microsoft account! And Edge is great so far and I want it to be synced too! But not perfect since these things and more are missing!
They should be very very simple to add since they exists in Firefox like a decade and half ago... (Except for Ad-Blocker & VPN which exists in the useless Opera for years!)
But looks like Edge still have years to be "near" perfect since you guys don't care much, and until then I see 0 reasons to use it and 0 reasons to change Firefox.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/add-the-epub-reader-from-edgeuwp-to-edge-chromium... again I hope you consider adding the support to open epubs with the immersive reader function. This feedback reached 75 likes now

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@MissyQ  Also I'll paste this message with every time you renew this page since you guys don't care.

Now Edge has released officially and I'm still waiting for:
- Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window (Like in Firefox, IE and many others)
- Middle Mouse Clicks to open new tabs when clicked on the tabs bar (Like in Firefox)
- Move the opened tabs to the bookmarks toolbar by just dragging them with the mouse (Like in Firefox)
- Built-in Ad-Blocker (Like in Opera)
- Built-in VPN (Like in Opera)
- Importing from Firefox (Which doesn't exists on 90% of the machines I've tried) which is a MAJOR bug!! It's basically the first step I'm going to do "when" I move to Edge !!

So I'm not moving to Edge until these are added/fixed.. and trust me I want to move to Edge because I use almost all Microsoft products including Windows Defender,OneDrive, Office 356 and more! And everything is synced into my Microsoft account! And Edge is great so far and I want it to be synced too! But not perfect since these things and more are missing!
They should be very very simple to add since they exists in Firefox like a decade and half ago... (Except for Ad-Blocker & VPN which exists in the useless Opera for years!)
But looks like Edge still have years to be "near" perfect since you guys don't care much, and until then I see 0 reasons to use it and 0 reasons to change Firefox.

1. Firefox Import works. Both Microsoft and Mozilla have added support for each others' browsers, and not only stable, but also experimental channels. I have successfully Imported from Firefox 74/75 to Edge Canary 81/82.
  2. Edge has adblocker, in fact it's better than adblocker, it's a malware-blocker, miner-blocker, fingerprinting-blocker and more. edge://settings/privacy
  3. https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/03/improving-tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-79/
  4. Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window
  5. Opera VPN is lame when the network is using DPI and other stronger anti-censorship technique, personally tested. also the speed is too low. TOR is better and more secure.
  6. Also you might wanna read this article, it'll change your view on VPNs...
  7. https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

gdfg.png

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:

@MissyQDiscussing the "Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window" for 20 weeks is a huge joke ! It's a crucial option to add !! I don't know why and how Edge started without it !!! and you still discussing it ????????????????????

It's has Not been discussed for 20 weeks.

it's been on the list for 20 weeks and around 2 weeks ago they started the discussion because they are planning to add it and so they want user feedbacks that whether the same functionality should be added or any improvements need to be applied to it first.

fdf (1).png

fdf (2).png

fdf (3).png

I don't care, they are thinking about it for 20 weeks while it's crucial !!!!
1- No it doesn't work, I tested it on like 20 machines that has different Windows and different editions of Edge and it's just not in the import list.
2/3- No it doesn't work at all, all ads are there, this is not an ad-blocker.
4- Yeah I commented there, they are acting like it's not important at all....
5/6- Then we need a strong and efficient one, I don't mean that we need one exactly like Opera's ! Opera is **bleep** anyway.

@Omar-Os 

@Omar-Os wrote:
I don't care, they are thinking about it for 20 weeks while it's crucial !!!!

Doesn't matter. there are lots of moving parts. it's not like pressing a button and boom, you develop a perfect sync.

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:
1- No it doesn't work, I tested it on like 20 machines that has different Windows and different editions of Edge and it's just not in the import list.
2/3- No it doesn't work at all, all ads are there, this is not an ad-blocker.
4- Yeah I commented there, they are acting like it's not important at all....
5/6- Then we need a strong and efficient one, I don't mean that we need one exactly like Opera's ! Opera is **bleep** anyway.

1. Which Firefox versions did you try on? which Edge versions? need to be more specific

2. it does, set it to strict. it doesn't obviously block ads on YouTube video and things like that, that's the job of extensions like ublock origin. Opera doesn't do that either.

4. many of us commented as well, if they don't reply to each comment one by one it doesn't mean they don't care.

5. there is already a stronger one. use TOR, use this extension to use TOR network on Chromium based browsers.

1- I sent all the info to them before, I'm trying since last year with tons of versions of Firefox latest and ESR with Edge Canary, Dev, Beta & Stable and it's all the same. I've tried like 30 different versions in the past year, and as I said I tried this with about 20 different machines with different Windows.

2- It doesn't hide ads, and of course I need it to hide all kind of ads including YouTube ads ! Other than that it's useless ! Opera does this with it's built-in ad-blocker.

4- They don't care because it took them a long time and they still didn't add it yet although it's very simple option to add !

5- What do you think I'm doing?? I'm already using an extension for ad-blocking and for VPN and "HTTPS Everywhere" and more ! but with Opera I don't have to !! Why should Opera be better in all this ??
Of course I won't use TOR ! It's totally different browser !

Thanks so much for everyone's thoughts and suggestions!

@cazafurcias42 We absolutely get the frustrations around this, my friend. Clark, the PM who owns this, posted last week a great explanation of the reasoning behind this decision. We want to make sure it's done right, not fast. If you would like, once this has been implemented, I can reach out to you and have you give it a try!

@Omar-Os I am sorry to see that there is a perception that we do not care. We are constantly evaluating how our users view us, and this breaks my heart. I would love to have a dialog with you in DMs about why you feel this way and if there may be ways we can improve this perception. You mention things being a "simple fix", however it's not. Firefox in particular isn't built on the same system the new Microsoft Edge is, so implementing those types of features take a lot of work on our side to be on par with where users want. You can see on the feedback list that we are working on tab features, we already do have a built in ad blocker (it's under Site Permissions, and blocks misleading ads found on a specific list - not all ads immediately), and everything else you've mentioned we've received feedback on as well. Even though we don't respond to every message ever on here (we're working to improve this), we do READ every message and ensure things are sent to the right people. It takes time to change things, and improving our response rate on these forums falls into that. 

@tomscharbach Features on this list are added on based on the number of feedback we receive through the Send feedback tool in the browser. This is something I have seen around social a lot, though (even before the garbled text issue we recently saw). I'll chat with the team, but can't guarantee anything. :)

@Omar-Os 

Spoiler

@Omar-Os wrote:
1- I sent all the info to them before, I'm trying since last year with tons of versions of Firefox latest and ESR with Edge Canary, Dev, Beta & Stable and it's all the same. I've tried like 30 different versions in the past year, and as I said I tried this with about 20 different machines with different Windows.

2- It doesn't hide ads, and of course I need it to hide all kind of ads including YouTube ads ! Other than that it's useless ! Opera does this with it's built-in ad-blocker.

4- They don't care because it took them a long time and they still didn't add it yet although it's very simple option to add !

5- What do you think I'm doing?? I'm already using an extension for ad-blocking and for VPN and "HTTPS Everywhere" and more ! but with Opera I don't have to !! Why should Opera be better in all this ??
Of course I won't use TOR ! It's totally different browser !

1. still haven't mentioned any specific Edge or Firefox versions.

2. use ublock origin extension.

3. if it was simple they wouldn't done it already. I don't know how you say it's simple.

4. good, don't use it. TOR is not a browser, it's an Overlay network.

To me it's funny, some people with 0 knowledge of coding claim something is too easy to implement. I mean come on..
I've tried lots of browsers. take Vivaldi for example, it took them 5 years to reach to the point where they are now and still their browsers has problems.
yes problems, and that's when they didn't even have to develop their own engine, they are using Chromium, so most of the work is done by other people in the open source community.
so literally 5 years spent on sync and user interface.
then some, very few people, claim this is easy, that is easy, why not implementing it already etc etc...