SOLVED

Sync isn't available for this account

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Microsoft

I have two profiles. One uses my Microsoft employee account and the other uses my personal O365 business account. For some reason, my personal account will not sync bookmarks and states "Sync isn't available for this account". I can't find any info on this issue.

Can anyone provide insight? Is it a bug?

78 Replies

@Steve Downs I have the opposite problem - my personal office365 syncs bookmarks and passwords  just fine, but my work account will not sync on Edge.

I agree there is a horrible lack of documentation about the new Edge sync process and settings.

@Eric79x I'm seeing this as well. My guess is that in order to sync the Edge profile on a work account, Enterprise State Roaming must be enabled, which requires an Azure AD Premium or Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) subscription, as documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/enterprise-state-roaming-enable

Edit: It sounds like Enterprise State Roaming may not be required after all, but rather this feature just hasn't been implemented yet.

Edit 2: I have found the documentation for this feature here: Microsoft Edge Sync. TL;DR: One or both of the following must be true for sync to work:

If both AIP and ESR are disabled, users will see an error message indicating that sync is not available for their account.

Syncing is very basic feature for a modern browser, it's very bad if requires premium subscription 

I have a new work laptop and am able to sync on that one just fine for both accounts. However, I just setup a new personal PC and am having the issue there. I'm a Microsoft employee if that helps with troubleshooting...

@Steve Downs Are you signed in to Windows with your Microsoft account?
I've found that if you're signed in to Windows with the same account as you are signed in to Edge, that's the only way that sync is enabled for me.

@Eric79x @Steve Downs Hey, guys! This is known. Favorites sync is currently being worked on in both Canary and Dev builds. Right before the holidays, it was enabled for users in Canary and a select few in Dev. This is a top priority for us, so know that we're working hard on this.

Missy Quarry (she/her/hers)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@MissyQ awesome, thanks for the response.... what about that .deb tho?  :xd:

@Eric79x HAHA. I just answered this on Twitter this morning, but it's coming down the line! No info past that, unfortunately. I'm sure we will be loud about news on that here when it arrives. ;)

@MissyQ Thanks for the update! Can you confirm whether any special licensing will be required for syncing with a work or school account, i.e. Azure AD Premium?

Hi @MissyQ, just checking in again. Will any special licensing be needed to sync Edge settings with an Azure AD account? Thanks!

It seems that at least an Azure PREMIUM P1 subscription at $6 per user per month is needed for Enterprise State Roaming :(

If not in the free plan, I think it should be included in the  Office 365 apps plan because right now, having Office 365 Business Premium is not enough for Edge sync to work.

Darn thanks for looking into it.

@Siegfried_Beitl, I am in the same boat and I agree with your suggestion about how this the sync feature should be licensed. 

Hi @Siegfried_Beitl, do you have confirmation from Microsoft that Enterprise State Roaming is required in order for Edge sync to work?

@Ryan Steele Enterprise State Roaming is for Windows 10. While the new Edge data could be included in a roaming profile, this is most certainly not required for account sync.

The Edge team has stated previously that sync is one of their top priorities to get working.

This is a hot mess.  Sync working this morning on a system that is not authenticated to the work domain, not working on a domain authenticated system logged in under the same account.  Multiple error messages regarding login issues so I enabled the dev reporting.  Don't even try to add a second personal profile to switch to, everything either disappears or duplicates then.   No explanation why sync was working 40 minutes ago, drive to work and now "Sync isn't available for this account".  Yep, back to Waterfox until this gets sorted out. Way too much inconsistency. @MissyQ 

@Spyrograph I have a similar issue as well - signed in to the same azureAD/office365 account on two computers.

One computer that is not domain joined, sync works every time I log in.

Other computer that is domain joined "sync not enabled for this account".

@MissyQ  We need clear documentation for when/why sync will and won't work.

It seems like this is a basic feature that should have been working from the get-go.

Easy Fix...just go back to Google Chrome. It is same backend and they let you use your work account and personal account and sync no problem without paying for an Enterprise level account on the backend. I am an Office 365 Premium subscriber and would THINK it included but nope, so easy answer is to just stick with Chrome. Every time Microsoft comes close to winning me over they disappoint me....so sad.

@Eric79x  i have the same issue - guessing AzureAD/O365 accounts not supported yet

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MissyQ (Microsoft)
Solution

@LordDelacroix There's a lot of things happening in this thread. Sync is absolutely available for regular users and specific enterprise users as seen here. There are a few things around sync that are not currently enabled, history sync being the biggest one. If sync is still not working for you based on these prerequisites, I'd love to be able to help you out a bit more on a personalized level. Please create a new thread and ensure to tag me in it so I get a notification for the post. 

To make it clear, I'd really rather everyone didn't do what I just asked LordDelacroix above. If you are in this thread already and still having an issue with sync please respond to this message. Provide a screenshot, if possible, and details on what type of account you have (either a personal account, or one listed in the link above). I want to help you out, but with so much going on in here, it's hard to parse who's having what issue right now.

If you are a new person stumbling upon this thread, are having issues with sync, and don't see an answer that will help you, please create a new thread. We review our forums daily (M-F, Pacific time) and will take the time to address as many people as we can. Sync is a particularly frustrating pain point for users like yourselves, and we try to make an effort to help those running into these issues. Appreciate the understanding of our process and patience with us while we work through getting to as many of you as possible. :)

View solution in original post