SOLVED

Suggestion: add Progress Bar and Next/Prev options to the PiP (Picture in Picture) in Edge browser

MVP

Suggestion: add Progress Bar and Next/Prev options to the PiP (Picture in Picture) in Edge browser

Here is a video of my side by side comparison of PiP in Edge Canary Version 83.0.461 and PiP in Windows 10 Movies & TV app which is the superior one.

Also allow to control that progress bar in PiP. use the same small minimal style from the app on Windows 10 but on mouse hover, the progress bar needs to get bigger and come Up so user can control it and click on it. Thanks.

https://streamable.com/rocr2

Spoiler

for users reading this wondering how to turn on PiP in Edge, please refer to this topic:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/new-feature-built-in-picture-in-picture-mode-pip-...

11 Replies
You should make an issue here! :) https://github.com/w3c/picture-in-picture

I know the Media Session API has previoustrack and nexttrack actions. They could be used in PiP user agents..
I'm requesting it as a suggestion from Microsoft Edge team, to make it available specifically for Edge browser. don't really care about other browsers. if you know how to help you can send feedback or write emails to Edge team

Microsoft Edge follows standards though. and WOW your attitude. the w3c exists. you're on a Chromium based browser and yet you don't care about other browsers? You don't care that Chrome has so much market share? You don't think standards are important? Websites can just block all browsers that aren't Chrome and you still don't care about other browsers and standards?

Edit: you do know why Microsoft adopted Chromium, right?

@pneenkoalabear 

Spoiler

@pneenkoalabear wrote:

Microsoft Edge follows standards though. and WOW your attitude. the w3c exists. you're on a Chromium based browser and yet you don't care about other browsers? You don't care that Chrome has so much market share? You don't think standards are important? Websites can just block all browsers that aren't Chrome and you still don't care about other browsers and standards?

Edit: you do know why Microsoft adopted Chromium, right?

First of all watch your language.

plus, I don't see any reason to go off topic and dig into about what I care and what I don't care, that's not related to this discussion.

it's a simple feature suggestion, period.

I didn't swear. If you want to see why I said what I said in my edit, look at my last two sentences. I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude.

What you care about is related to this discussion. There's another way of getting heard and you chose to ignore it because you don't care about other browsers. You said it yourself

It's a simple feature suggestion, yes, and I just gave you a link to the W3C GitHub as just another place (you don't have to of course) to post your suggestion and even discussed a bit about implementation. I don't think that Microsoft has really deviated from Chromium with web APIs much yet. They probably choose not to.

@pneenkoalabear 

Spoiler

@pneenkoalabear wrote:
I didn't swear. If you want to see why I said what I said in my edit, look at my last two sentences. I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude.

What you care about is related to this discussion. There's another way of getting heard and you chose to ignore it because you don't care about other browsers. You said it yourself

It's a simple feature suggestion, yes, and I just gave you a link to the W3C GitHub as just another place (you don't have to of course) to post your suggestion and even discussed a bit about implementation. I don't think that Microsoft has really deviated from Chromium with web APIs much yet. They probably choose not to.

it's okay dw,

My point is that I want these improvements and features only happen in Edge and not all browsers. that's why I'm only posting them here, for Microsoft.

after all these features are implemented I want some reason to stay on Edge and I hope it won't be only that it came from Microsoft.

if all browsers had the same features then what would be the point of using Edge and not Chrome or Opera etc.

about the Chromium and Edge is based on that, yes that's true but don't think that it's Google's courtesy or love to make Chromium open source and available so Microsoft and Others could use it.

we all just saw a glimpse of Google's power and how a short pause in Chromium crippled all major browsers in the market (except for Firefox).

that's how Google stay in control, create monopoly and dictate web standards separate from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).

that's the truth and I don't hate them, the least I can do is not care about them and only care about things I love. 

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX We appreciate the illustrative video, it really helped demonstrate what you'd like to see. We'll pass this on to the media team. (Features that are behind flags are typically still being developed, so it's possible that they're already doing more work on it, too.) 

Correction on 4/15: the team has confirmed that the feature is live in the builds, not behind a flag, and just requires two right clicks on a video. It’s also in the "… "if the site is using the built-in native video controls. 

fawkes_0-1586969617117.png

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Thank you @Deleted 

looking forward to the new changes coming :)

@HotCakeX I'm still waiting for this feature as well. Opera has it for a very long time now!

PiP exists, but not the seekbar/controls.
I really want this feature, just copy what firefox did please
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

@HotCakeX We appreciate the illustrative video, it really helped demonstrate what you'd like to see. We'll pass this on to the media team. (Features that are behind flags are typically still being developed, so it's possible that they're already doing more work on it, too.) 

Correction on 4/15: the team has confirmed that the feature is live in the builds, not behind a flag, and just requires two right clicks on a video. It’s also in the "… "if the site is using the built-in native video controls. 

fawkes_0-1586969617117.png

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

View solution in original post