Sidebar Search is not working

Silver Contributor

For me, in version 86<, sidebar search is not working. The sidebar is white and it does a regular Bing search. @HotCakeX and @Deleted and @MissyQ do you know how to fix this?

46 Replies
Hi,
Maybe try clearing browser data: edge://settings/clearBrowserData
im on 87 but its still working

@HotCakeX  That doesn't work. @MissyQ and @josh_bodner, can you help me?

@Kam Also adding @Deleted.  Where are you trying to open the sidebar from (a webpage or a PDF), and what's your search provider set to?  

@josh_bodner  @Deleted I'm trying to do it from a webpage. My search provider; I don't know what you mean; so it's Bing and I think the Search Provider is Cox. If I am wrong please explain what a search provider is.

Cox would be your ISP, the company that provide you with Internet connection.
search provider = search engine :)

@HotCakeX Ok.

@josh_bodner My search provider is Bing. And I already @mentioned fawkes in the main post.

@Kam and @josh_bodner Thanks for looping me in; I'll bring this up with our sidebar team. 

It looks like there's at least one current known issue with sidebar search, but I'm not yet sure if it's the same thing that you're encountering. So, if you haven't yet, can you please submit diagnostic data through the in-browser feedback tool? (Shift+Alt+I) And to confirm, do you see the same behavior on any other builds numbers/channels?

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Hi @Deleted, I don't have any of the channels installed. I'll attach the screenshot I used for the feedback.Screenshot 2020-10-08 161958.png

If you asked for Stable included (there's finally sidebar search on Stable) it also doesn't work. I can't install the other channels, because I don't have enough GB.

Adding @TheShaunSaw 

@Kam Thanks for sharing that! And if you're comfortable sharing, the team also wanted to know if you have any extensions installed that might be interfering with search?

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted  I only have MS Rewards, MS Editor and Classlink OneClick for my son.

@Deleted  How's the team doing?

Thanks,

Kam

Follow me by clicking my name above

@Kam I just followed up with them to see how the investigation is progressing. I'll let you know what I hear!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted What did you hear? I bet you heard the sound of whirring CPUs! LOL

@Kam The team confirmed that they couldn't repro the issue, but they've reached out to you via a direct message. I hope you're able to work together to find out more information!

Fawkes (they/them)

@Deleted I replied to mayusuf.

@Deleted How was the joke above?

@Kam wrote:
@DeletedWhat did you hear? I bet you heard the sound of whirring CPUs! LOL

Is it funny?

No unfortunately it's not

@Kam It made me smile

Fawkes (they/them)