Search Engine Issues

Copper Contributor

I have already gone through the settings to choose my default search engine and opted for no search suggestions and disable all auto complete but I am facing another issue.

If I mistype a url e.g. bbc,co.uk instead of bbc.co.uk the search engine opens to tell me of the error rather than getting a message that the site cannot be found as I get on Firefox and other browsers. How can I stop that from happening? Also is there any way to TOTALLY disable address bar searching? I is the worst thing ever invented or devised, I'd sooner have a separate search window.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies

@Twobobbles 

It is because when you don't put an appropriate link in this case bbc,co.uk, it might just think you have entered a text to search instead of a hyperlink.

I have been using Edge for years but I remember what you are saying, actually I would like it if the browser shows an error message when directly typing in hyperlinks than just searching for the incorrect one, I will tell you to send feedback about it.

Thanks for reporting the issue here. I would recommend you to send feedback about this bug through the in-app feedback tool in Microsoft Edge (Alt+Shift+I) with the diagnostics attached in order to help the Microsoft Edge dev team to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

@Twobobbles 

There is an experimental flag related to this. 
edge://flags/#omnibox-fuzzy-url-suggestions will if Enabled cause common typos in the address bar to be detected and offer appropriate suggestions. Try it. 

@Noel Burgess This is disabled already so I assume it doesn't work. I really want to totally disable search from the ADDRESS BAR and have a separate search window as I have in Firefox. I have to assume that Microsoft don't really care about their users. Time to ditch Windows

You can add your own 'do nothing/unreachable/nonsense' search engine such as 'https://127.0.0.1/?%s', even if it is ridiculous since there is no option to choose 'none' as address bar search engine. Note that it affects context menu -> search the web also.
Not kidding but just an idea.