Request: Open thumbnails in directory with images

Iron Contributor

Balancing on edge with GNU/Edge - 5

Every web browsers user can open directory page - /home/xx/pictures/flowers etc The only sad side of this is that such page can show list of directory files. It is usually named and titled as Index of /home/xx/pictures/flowers/

Imagine you've made several (or more) screenshots to specified directory from which you would like to select few of them and send to someone else. I used to the task GQview - stand alone application. E-mails were created within web browsers, but viewing images might have been done with external viewer, as any web browser can open one image only at a time.

Today, having such bloated browsers is a shame that no one offers ability to see directory with image files as table of thumbnails. You have such option in Total Commander and many other File Managers. Why not in web browsers? Good question...

So, it'd be to advantage to the web browser users if they were able to see thumbnails in the same page of local directory with images. Let such Index pages have an option to read list or watch thumbnails.

I've knocked to gates of many web browser cathedrals. I tried to sell the idea to Vivaldi two years ago and to Opera last year, but to no avail. Death ears, no feedback, no response to this simple  improvement. Perhaps Edge project leaders have better imagination than their competition.

Read, please, the text I published in Opera Forums: https://forums.opera.com/post/239517

[Fig. 1] Example how it works (reprinted from Opera Forums). I've used there a button and a hyperlink to open thumbnail page. It is very simple to program such option within Edge code. I've read the HTML code in Opera and it was piece of cake to do it. Alas!

1603387829384-ssox_1653

BTW. I've wrote a simple Bash script which helps me seeing image thumbnails in Edge tabs without Edge's help. It's not sophisticated solution, but it works. I will describe it in the next post titled "Thumbnails in Edge Index tab my way". Example screenshots:

[Fig. 2] Tab with Index Page as file list. Pay attention to the file "0. ► Show Thumbnails .html"

ssex_0011_2021.09.27-14.22.49.png

[Fig. 3] Tab with Index Page showing thumbnails instead of file list.

ssex_0012_2021.09.27-14.23.04.png

[Fig. 4] Tab with image opened via thumbnail

ssex_0013_2021.09.27-14.23.18.png

--
MS Edge Dev 95.0.1020.5-1
Debian Bullseye GNU/Linux 5.10.46-5, X.org 1.20.11, IceWM 2.1.2
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650, Driver 460.91.03, systemd 247 (247.3-6)

0 Replies