Popup dictionaries usually not working in Edge in Win10 tablet mode

Copper Contributor

Dictionaries (bilingual or unilingual) that are based on translation/info popups triggered by  selection of a word on web pages by double click, usually do not work in Edge in Windows 10's tablet mode (when the user uses a touchscreen). A well-known example is Google Translate.

My experience is that Edge and all the Chromium based browsers just do not handle double tap and do not select a word the user is tapping at, despite that Windows 10 supports such a feature (based on the content of the Settings/Preferences and Gesture options). These browsers, including Edge, only know the press and hold gesture that not only selects the word the user is pointing at but opens a context menu as well. My understanding is that because of this dictionary extensions fail to open the popup (because they "see" a different gesture than what they would expect). As a concrete example, please look at Google Translate which is quite widely used.

Old Edge supported such dictionary popups. I see this as some kind of regression. Can this anyhow be fixed?

2 Replies
The new Edge browser doesn't have the double tab popup feature built in (yet) to show you word translation.
which extension are you talking about?

@HotCakeXany extension that supports double tap popup.

> As a concrete example, please look at Google Translate which is quite widely used.

The problem is with the action triggered by double tap.