SOLVED

Pinning Edge on taskbar for each different profile makes some not display the profile name

Iron Contributor

Hey folks, I use Edge with several profiles as I need to do testing and also keep logged into the same portal as many different users, for example managing different Office 365 tenants.

I pin each profile on the taskbar for easy access, and I noticed some of these profiles are not displaying with the profile name, but just as "profile 1" and so on. Renaming them doesn't take effect into the taskbar.

Strangely, some profiles I created are displayed with the right name.

Is this a bug or done by design?

16 Replies
Hello,
could you mention which Edge channel/version you're using?

@AlexB Great question, thanks for letting us know. If you haven't yet, can you please submit feedback and diagnostic data through the browser?

In the meantime, @Avi Vaid, can you provide any insights on whether this is intended profile behavior for Enterprise accounts?

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@HotCakeX Version 83.0.474.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@Deleted I've done that already, I just decided to post here to check what other people think and if there is any current way to fixing it.

I've tried this using both Microsoft free account and AAD, behaviour seems the same. WHat I find odd is that some of these profiles got the name showing up with the right name when you hover the mouse cursor on the taskbar, meanwhile others just show the profile name when it was created like "Profile 1, 2 and so on" and if you rename them nothing happens, even if I unpin and pin the profile back

best response
Solution

@AlexB This seems fairly strange and is probably a bug. I'll message you privately so we can investigate further on email.

I have had this bug for awhile now myself and just now following up with it. I have 10 Edge Profiles that I created about 3 months ago. Half of them show the correct profile names (ie pharmacy) while the other show the default profile name and have never changed (ie Profile 1).@Avi Vaid 

Each profile has the name correct one you open it. There is no difference in behavior if it's connect to a MSA or not as half of those that have a name and half that don't either do or do not have a MSA attached.

I thought it might have been an error during the creation of the profile and the way you created a profile but regardless of what steps I took to make a new profile I had a 50/50 chance of the profile name showing incorrectly in the taskbar.

Thanks for reporting this, we are looking into this on a thread with Alex and hope to root cause this issue and fix it in the product. You should benefit from that fix as well by default. I'll reach out again in case we need more info.

@Avi Vaid Is this still an issue?  I am having the same problem.  No little icon for the personal account but the other two (school, work) seem to work ok.

The original issue was root caused. If you close and reopen Edge, the name updates but it doesn't update in realtime. Considering this easy workaround, we are currently not planning to fix this since most customers close and reopen Edge pretty often. 

@Gordan Redzic - regarding the issue you mentioned, there is another pesky bug you could be hitting which causes the default profile not to be badged. It is fixed in the latest Canary version. To workaround this issue in the meantime which this fix rolls to dev, beta and stable, you can use the below instructions. 

1. Open your broken shortcut, by right clicking on the taskbar icon, then right clicking on "Microsoft Edge" in the jumplist and opening "properties"
  2. Update the target string to be appended with: --profile-directory=”Default”
  3. Click “Change Icon”, Click “Browse”, in the “File name” field at the bottom of the explorer window enter:

“%localappdata%\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\Default\Edge Profile.ico” (without quotes :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

Select the Edge icon that is badged with your profile image, in the change icon dialog.

1. Click apply to correct the shortcut’s properties.

@Avi Vaid has there been any movement on fixing names on profiles in the taskbar? It sounds like the issue was marked resolved but profiles I have are still showing incorrect profile names. 

Seems like you're running into a different bug in that case. I'll reach out to your directly

@Avi Vaid so its good on Canary but I am getting the Canary icon if I follow your instructions for the Dev channel.  No worries will use Canary for now :)  Thanks for getting back to me!

I'm sure this is too late to help the original poster, but figured I would post it for anyone else looking for a solution to this problem.

To change the profile name that appears on the taskbar you need to right-click on the profile name in the taskbar context menu and select properties. Then select the "Details" tab in the properties window and look for the "Folder Path" property. Next, open the folder listed in that property.

For me, the default profile shortcut was usually found in "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" and secondary profiles were located in a subfolder under "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\\ImplicitAppShortcuts".

Finally, rename the shortcut that matches the name in the context menu and, voilà, the profile name changes in the context menu.

Thank you esiemiat.
You surely helped me today.
Bizarre that this issue is still not solved in october 2021.
Hi,

how do it pin the edge profiles on the Win 11 taskbar, tq
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@AlexB This seems fairly strange and is probably a bug. I'll message you privately so we can investigate further on email.

View solution in original post