SOLVED

Pin to desktop - Open as application

Copper Contributor

Hi,

One thing I really love about chrome is the ability to pin a page to the desktop (which is now available in edge) but to open it as an application - so it has its own window, its own icon such that I can do "ctrl-tab" and actually see it. is that planned for edge? I think it's a must!

7 Replies
best response confirmed by rgrosberg (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@rgrosberg 

You can do it

dsadasda.png

and then you will get a nice UI that is minimal and separate from the browser. Twitter launches like an app

fdsfsd.png

Really?! I’ll check it out!
Cool ;)

@HotCakeX 

So first of all, it works!!! thanks! you just made my life a whole lot better, just need edge to also work on ubuntu :)

Now Microsoft needs to fix the following issues:

1. it's not intuitive to do it from the apps menu

2. When using the pinning wizard, you don't get that option

3. After an application has been pinned, it does not let you save it as an app... 

You're welcome, hopefully we will see a Linux port soon :)

umm what do you mean by saving a site as an app?
the option to "install a site as an app" only pins that website to the start menu and desktop and also loads that website in a minimal UI. but it's still a website, not an app.
you could call it a PWA which stands for progressive web app but still no installation required :)
Yes, I know :) what I meant is that when you pin it, it opens it up in a tab and not as a separate window, and after it is pinned it doesn’t let give you the option to open it app in a separate window anymore, the menu option isn’t even there, so you need to go to manage apps, delete the pinned site and only then can you go to the apps menu again and save it as app...
Yes it only opens it as a tab if you launch taskbar pinning wizard.
but if you do it using the method i should above, from apps, then it opens it in a separate window with the website's own color and different UI.

There are 2 different things here and they are intentionally made different because they are for different purposes.

1. installing a site as an app.
2. pinning a site to taskbar using taskbar pinning wizard.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rgrosberg (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi@rgrosberg 

You can do it

dsadasda.png

and then you will get a nice UI that is minimal and separate from the browser. Twitter launches like an app

fdsfsd.png

View solution in original post