Petition to change the immersive reading icon

Bronze Contributor

This is the current icon: 

cjc2112_0-1582854684121.png

The speaker conveys that it plays audio, which it does, but so much more. Young people, especially ones in school, are extremely hesitant about anything that could potentially make noise, which means that they will probably never click on it. Heck even I didn't dare click for months not realizing it was the immersive reader.

The last edge had that problem as well. Whenever I saw it I assumed that it was added to my history and went 2 years without ever knowing that it was there or that I could even click on it.

They need to create a new icon. A thought that I had was the page with an eye instead if the speaker.

3 Replies
it's a book with speaker, meaning both reading and listening are available. it's not only a speaker icon.

at school, the computers are not connected to loud speakers, there is no need to worry about sound being heard by everyone.

@HotCakeX That meaning is not conveyed effectively enough. 

Also, the fear about the sound isn't rational, it's PTSD from when teachers yell at you for making any noise on your laptop or phone, and this is a pretty common occurrence in most schools. 

I personally prefer the immersive reader Icon in Edge classic that was a nice Animated book, when you hovered over it, the book pages starts turning..that was a neat design for an icon