SOLVED

Open links to PDF files internally in Edge

Iron Contributor

Hello Edge experts.

When I click on a link or paste URL directly to a PDF file, for example this: http://download.microsoft.com/documents/rus/Licensing/Windows-10-Volume-Licensing-Guide.pdf

I get the file downloaded to default location.

I see the setting "Always open PDF files externally", but no matter what the setting for it is, I still get the file downloaded, instead of opened directly in Edge.
I tried setting Edge as my default app for opening PDF files, but this has no effect on opening of links.

Is it possible to make Edge display PDF files without putting them to user's downloads folder? Both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox do this fine.

Any tips or ideas? Thanks, Ruslan

13 Replies

@RNalivaika 

Hi there, you are welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider Community!

You can open .pdf files without downloading them in Microsoft Edge. Your .pdf file is getting downloaded because the link is a download link and not directly a .pdf file.

@TheShaunSawHello and thank you!

How can you tell that the link is a download link and not directly a .pdf file?

If i click a link to or just paste the link in Firefox, i get it opened internally, see screenshot below. Internet Explorer works the same, but not Edge..

RNalivaika_0-1594795826811.pngRNalivaika_1-1594795871321.png

Hello @RNalivaika 

your link is correct, there is no difference between a download link and a PDF link, it's just how the browser handles the extensions (.PDF).
on Firefox the PDF opens inside the browser using that link, doesn't get downloaded (because of the settings in Firefox which recently got improved).

on Edge stable 83, that PDF is downloaded and not opened inside the browser (by default), again because of the settings in Edge which need to be improved.

Here is the solution:

let the PDF file download in Edge at least once, then right-click here and choose: "Always open with system viewer".

dasdsss.png

next time you open PDF files from a link, they will be automatically opened inside Edge.

@HotCakeX 

I thought like that because when I open PDFs from my school website and some other websites, it does not download it and views it online without the option checked as shown in your reply and when I only went to that link, it started downloading the PDF. So I thought it would be that way but it wasn't.

Thank you for helping.

Apologies for the misinformation given and I will make it sure to take care that I don't spread misinformation anywhere in the future.

Hello @HotCakeX and thanks for your input. That helps a bit, but does not solve the issue completely. I've also testet the same setting using GPO/Registry with version 85 (dev). It is not desirable that the PDF file lands in downloads folder. Some users who quickly review tens and hundreds of PDFs each day will quickly make their downloads folder messy. :) Regards, Ruslan

@TheShaunSaw 

It's okay no worries, Edge is new born so it still has rough edges, but trying different browsers like Firefox, reveals the shortcomings.

@RNalivaika 

@RNalivaika wrote:

Hello @HotCakeX and thanks for your input. That helps a bit, but does not solve the issue completely. I've also testet the same setting using GPO/Registry with version 85 (dev). It is not desirable that the PDF file lands in downloads folder. Some users who quickly review tens and hundreds of PDFs each day will quickly make their downloads folder messy. :) Regards, Ruslan

Hi, I think Edge needs improvements there, you can send that PDF link along with a problem description as feedback using Edge feedback button and hopefully the devs will fix this in the future.

Edge opens some PDF files internally and downloads the rest.

Firefox opens All PDF files internally by default, without exception, and if the user wants PDF files to be downloaded instead, they can go to the Firefox settings and change this behavior.
so the problem/bug with Edge is that it is making exceptions for some reason.

This is Firefox settings for PDF:

fdsfsdfsd.png

and now Edge settings for PDF:

dsadsadas.png

just one simple toggle button...which is vague and confusing.

"open files externally" ... with which program? nobody knows. but on Firefox, there is a whole bunch of advanced settings, you can also choose your default program to open PDFs with inside Firefox.

Edge needs these settings.

@Deleted 

@RNalivaika Hi Ruslan, thanks for reaching out. I'll bring this up with the team and let you know if there are any insights to share.

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

Appreciate that@Deleted  :)

Regards, Ruslan

best response confirmed by RNalivaika (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@RNalivaika I looped the PDF team in. Thanks to your feedback, they're making a bug for this and will be looking into it further!

Fawkes (they/them)

It has been over a year. And the problem still exists. I open a pdf to view and it goes into the downloads. No matter how I change the setting. Very frustrating to go in and delete 20+ pdf files when they just needs to be viewed and printed, not saved.

I can also confirm the issue has not been resolved yet.

Hi ChenaeF, I would like to Bump this thread, as I have the exact same issue with Edge Browser, but with Windows Holographic build on the HoloLens 2.

Scenario: I am trying to open a PDF within the Edge web browser, and then have the browser navigate to Page 2 of the PDF: https://website.com/example.pdf#page=2

In Windows Holographic (HoloLens 2), the Edge browser opens the link and then immediately downloads the .pdf file (instead of opening internally, and redirecting to page 2 with "#page=2").

I have already configured the Edge Browser setting, "Always open PDF files externally" to Disabled.

The PDF still downloads, and then I still need to click, "Open File", and then I still need to (manually) navigate to Page 2 of the .PDF :(

A separate (but similar) issue is that I cannot set Edge as my Default PDF Viewer in Windows Holographic. The Edge Browser asks, "Set Microsoft Edge as the default application for reading PDF files? (Set as default)." -> But then when I click the button, it says, "Microsoft Edge couldn't be set as your default PDF reader. (Learn more)" and does not give me any ways to fix this issue. I have submitted a Feedback Hub request for this issue at: https://aka.ms/AAkwp7b and hopefully this issue can finally get some attention.

Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RNalivaika (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@RNalivaika I looped the PDF team in. Thanks to your feedback, they're making a bug for this and will be looking into it further!

Fawkes (they/them)

View solution in original post