SOLVED

Netflix doesn't run as a PWA

Iron Contributor

I have been facing a problem with Netflix not running as a PWA. However, it works just fine if I open it directly in the browser.

I get the following error -

Ekansh0202_0-1591591809510.png

Moreover, I also face issues with video conferencing in PWAs.

If you also face the same issue then please give this post a +1 to get this issue resolved ASAP

2 Replies
best response
Solution

@Ekansh0202 this has to do with the scope of the PWA. You'll notice that when you clicked to install the PWA you were probably on a screen like netflix.com/browse. But when you are in the PWA and click to watch a video, that redirects to netflix.com/watch, which is technically 'out of scope' for the PWA and causes that black bar across the top to show up. 

The easiest workaround should be to simply log out of netflix in the browser so the URL is back to just the netflix.com url and install from there. That way the scope is the entire domain rather than just /browse.

Now that said, I have not seen this cause the full error you are seeing with "Pardon the interruption", only that it will remove that black bar at the top.

-John

The last few days I've been having this problem with Netflix in both the browser and in the app itself, so I think it may be something at Netflix end, not Edge Canary.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

@Ekansh0202 this has to do with the scope of the PWA. You'll notice that when you clicked to install the PWA you were probably on a screen like netflix.com/browse. But when you are in the PWA and click to watch a video, that redirects to netflix.com/watch, which is technically 'out of scope' for the PWA and causes that black bar across the top to show up. 

The easiest workaround should be to simply log out of netflix in the browser so the URL is back to just the netflix.com url and install from there. That way the scope is the entire domain rather than just /browse.

Now that said, I have not seen this cause the full error you are seeing with "Pardon the interruption", only that it will remove that black bar at the top.

-John

View solution in original post