SOLVED

Microsoft Edge Strange Crash in Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Edge Strange Crash in Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.7. can any one support here for this error ?

full crash report is here you can download  > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D3y7LmO_kK7hkuaMDdZ--xedQAKXYoqgqPI8L4XJS0U/edit?usp=sharing 

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.17.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 10.17.58 AM.png

35 Replies

Hey there @SandeepRbaliga1060! Was this a one time crash of the browser or does it continue to happen? Were you taking a specific action before the crash occurred? What version of Edge are you running? 

If you're able to open the browser, please head over to edge://crashes in the address bar and see if the crash was recorded there. If it was, please click 'Submit feedback' and check to include diagnostic data when prompted, to ensure that the crash is reported to the Edge team as well (the report you posted originally is one sent to Apple specifically.) If you let me know what you put in the description of the crash report, I'll grab it on my side! 

Alex Rowell (she/her)
Community Manager - Microsoft Edge
Discuss Stable features and issues on the answers.microsoft.com forums, join us on Twitter, or join the communities over on Reddit in r/MicrosoftEdge or r/edge

I confirm the same issue in the similar circumstances. The crash happens every few minutes affter the launch. I submitted the feedback.

@Alexandra-R 

I am having this issue too. I tried to send the crash report, but Edge won't stay open long enough to send it (crashes right when I press the submit button)! This started right after updating to version 98.0.1108.43 (Official build) (x86_64). I never had a problem like this with Edge before.

I have tried uninstalling the application and all of its preferences files and reinstalling. Same thing happens.

I'm on a late 2012 Mac Mini with 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H1713). This is the most recent version of macOS that will run on this computer. I also have the same versions of Edge and macOS running on a 2016 MacBook Pro and it's having no problems at all.

Ditto. macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Edge crashes after a few minutes in various builds of Dev, Beta (my usual), and stable. Started and continues with version 98.x and later; downgrading to Beta 97.x eliminates the crash.

Mac mini (Late 2014), 2.8Ghz dual-core i5, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB

Just tried uploading what I hope are the correct crash reports.

Are previous versions available so I can try downgrading?

I am experiencing the same crashes of Edge on my 2013 iMac running macOS Catalina v10.15.7. Crashing behavior began with new Edge update installed 4 Feb. Many crash reports uploaded already according to edge://crashes. Upon opening, Edge will generally crash within the first 2-5 minutes. Today, I deleted Edge, downloaded a new version, and reinstalled. Same crashing behavior continuing. (this last time Edge stayed up for around 30 min before crashing -- strange)
I am having the same issue. Very frustrating. I have come depend on Edge for its unique features and now am unable to use it at all. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared browser data, rebooted, etc. I am also on Catalina 10.15.7 on a Late 2012 iMac with quad-core i7 processor, 32 GB memory. No issues until after last Edge update.
best response confirmed by SandeepRbaliga1060 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hey folks! Seeing a lot of new reports of this today, thank you very much for commenting! It looks like a lot of you are submitting feedback and I've gotten that to the team for a closer look at what's going wrong, but if they request any additional information I'll circle back here. Thank you again for reporting, and for your patience as we look into this!

Thank you, @Alexandra-R! I used to work for Microsoft so I appreciate this all the more. :)

@SandeepRbaliga1060 Same here.  I was fine last week, today it crashes.  I'm forced to use Chrome.

Edge just updated to version 98.1108. It still crashes immediately when I try to start it.

EDIT: Now it updated to 98.0.1108.55. Still crashes immediately.

I just installed 98.0.1108.56. Edge stayed up for about a minute and then crashed silently.
after upgrade to v99, still crash, the only solution is downgrade to v97
Same here, it keeps crashing as soon as I open it for like 10 seconds
how did you get it to downgrade, I have a Mac but I’m unsure how to
Still happening with Version 99.0.1150.39 (Official build) (x86_64).

I'm thinking Microsoft doesn't want Mac users using Edge. Ok, back to Chrome.
I was so impressed and hopeful after Alexandra-R responded. But then nothing happened and she's disappeared.

Time to give up.
I kept old MicrosoftEdge9769.pkg, just uninstall latest version and install old version
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SandeepRbaliga1060 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hey folks! Seeing a lot of new reports of this today, thank you very much for commenting! It looks like a lot of you are submitting feedback and I've gotten that to the team for a closer look at what's going wrong, but if they request any additional information I'll circle back here. Thank you again for reporting, and for your patience as we look into this!

View solution in original post