Mac OS Edge Dev: CPU going crazy, can't click feedback button

Brass Contributor

So on the recent build I'd like to report that I'm getting huge CPU spikes to over 250%, and clicking the Edge feedback smiley will cause the entire browser to crash

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 9.46.15 AM.png

9 Replies
Hi,
Try disabling "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen" from the Edge insider settings and see if it fixes this for you.
edge://settings/privacy
I disabled it and restarted the browser, seems i can use the report button again now

re-enabled, no issues so far, can still send feedback
That's good, btw 79.0.301.0 was released for canary
Didnt take long, now I'm getting the 250% CPU craziness again. Turned off Smartscreen again.

Sitting at 150%, ill reply again if it happens after a restart + smartscreen off

Happened again, same symptom, couldnt click the :) to send feedback, just crashed the entire browser. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 3.28.01 AM.png

That's bad, because if Smiley button crashes then you can't use its problem recording ability to record the problem and send it with your feedback.
Do you have another browser such as Edge canary to use while this bug gets fixed?

@matb86 I've noticed this issue too. For me it happens every time the browser is left running for > 24 hours. My computer isn't set to sleep, so when I go to my desk the next morning the computer's fans are running full speed. Like you, my CPU usage is tied to the browser and not any one tab or extension.

This happens on both my Mac as well as my wife's Mac. I'm running Beta (78.0.276.19) and she's running Dev (79.0.301.2).

I've used Activity Monitor to record spindumps from both computers and submitted them through the support form.

My Mac (Edge Beta): https://pastebin.com/y838WmP9

Wife's Mac (Edge Dev): https://pastebin.com/dnan74nY

@matb86I have the exact same issue. My Mac Mini fan kicks off when I'm not even using the MAc and I check activity monitor, the CPU is at 160% for the Edge Beta Process. I really enjoy using this browser probably my favorite but for the moment I have gone back to Firefox. IF/When this gets fixed I will return to it.