SOLVED

Is it possible for Edge to play HEVC (H265) MKV files ?

MVP

I'm wondering, is it possible for Edge to play HEVC (H265) MKV files ?

the reason is I watch lots of movies online and they are in HVEC (H.265) format, sometimes in MKV and sometimes in MP4, Edge can't play them so I have to either use VLC or Windows media player to play the video stream. it would be awesome if Edge supported this so i could just open the file in the browser without the need for 3rd party programs.

5 Replies

+1 What's the point of installing HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft Store if Edge is simply gonna ignore them?

Oh nice of you to mention that, yes that extension, I actually paid for it lol something that comes free with VLC (both Win32 and UWP version). I don't regret it though, 1$ is nothing, just wanna use it on the new Edge
Pay for something you can't use. Just bought the same useless crap. Lol.
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Edge now does have support for HEVC/h265 and also dolby content. The only issue is that it won't play MKV, the files need to be in a MP4 container, which could be as simple as renaming the file extension.

@tester720 

Thanks for letting me know!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Edge now does have support for HEVC/h265 and also dolby content. The only issue is that it won't play MKV, the files need to be in a MP4 container, which could be as simple as renaming the file extension.

View solution in original post