Infinite redirects with live.com.

Brass Contributor

Not strictly an edge issue - I have seen this on and off for years on multiple browsers - but maybe edge team can either create a mitigation or kick the auth team in the proverbial.  I hadn't see this issue since beginning of year but seems to be a regression on the auth side.

Symptoms:

• after browser has accumulated cookies, I have issues logging onto live.com
  • go to outlook.live.com as example and session ends with:

This page isn’t working right now

outlook.live.com redirected you too many times.

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Open the page in private - everything works just fine.
Clear cookies - everything works just fine

Desired solution:
  • make live / azure integrated auth team make their auth better, this issue seems to be a regression, happened for years, was fixed earlier this year, just returned
  • or
  • edge team give me an easy way to remove live.com cookies (or any site i choose) without removing all cookies on the system - deleting all is nuclear option and annoying as it means i have reconfigure web apps on other sites that were storing settings as cookies.
Here is example trace ( i removed all my mailbox ids but hopefully the transaction ids can help someone figure WTF is going on)

clipboard_image_0.png

3 Replies

@alexbal 

I assumed there was no way to choose to only clear some sites because there is no obvious breadcrumb trail from here edge://settings/privacy

I did a search in settings and found edge://settings/siteData?search=cookie

(once found the search function + delete those shown by search worked beautifully)

I see no way to breadcrumb link from the first location above to the second - maybe my request is make an obvious bread crumb link - or heck for less knowledgeable users how about a "hey you got too many redirects, would you like to try clearing the cookies for the site to resolve?" error message with single click (people complain about live.com infinite redirects over on the 'less technical' ms forums all the time....)

Or go kick a friend in the live.com auth team to make their product work :) lol

Hi,
there could be an extension causing this issue, happened to me before.
also setting tracking prevention to strict can break some sites too.

@HotCakeX thanks i deleted the cookies and that fixed, but next time it happens i will try disabling extensions (all i have running is the office extension - but that defintily plugs into live auth)