Implementation of all classic Edge main features

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I would like to suggest the implementation of some features that were the reason why I used the old Edge.

-Basic gestures on touch devices, like the Surface. For example going back, going forth, a smooth pinch and zoom.

-Battery life was the main advantage of classic Edge, and it would be bad if it won't be the same in the new Edge as well.

-Epub support is a very demanded feature as I could notice reading the discussions. The old Edge was just wonderful.

-Cortana integration is another very demanded feature.

I hope you would consider all of these since they were mostly the reasons why we were users of the classic Edge.

3 Replies
+1
Great suggestions
Epub: Microsoft said they are retiring it. PDF is a good alternative as well as 3rd party Epub readers that are in Windows store
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517840/microsoft-edge-download-an-epub-app-to-keep-reading

@FedeDiLo "-Battery life was the main advantage of classic Edge, and it would be bad if it won't be the same in the new Edge as well."

That's been on the to-do list for 10-12 weeks now, after many, many complaints.  I've been carefully monitoring resource use on EdgeChromium for months now, and it remains a resource hog and battery drainer, although it is better than it used to be, and isn't quite as bad as Google Chrome. 

My read is that Microsoft has been making progress in this respect, but there's only so much that Microsoft can do, given the way Chromium-based browsers handle processes (opening a new process for just about everything, in contrast to EdgeClassic, which bundled processes) simply aren't as efficient as EdgeClassic. 

The thing that drives me crazy, particularly when working on an 11-12" laptop, is the flyout method of handling Favorites.  It doesn't take much to fill up the entire screen with flyouts, just trying to get to a Favorite that is three levels down, and on a small screen (anything less than 1920x1080), it quickly becomes unworkable. 

Quite a few  of us have been asking for a return to the hierarchical method of handling Favorites (as EdgeClassic and Firefox both do), but that didn't make the development cut, apparently, because it hasn't shown up on the "Top Feedback" list.  I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.

Anyway, thanks for the post.  I hope a lot of folks comment.

@tomscharbachhonestly, I don't really agree with this choice of using Chromium. I'm not an expert of the field, but Chromium doesn't really work well on windows. Needs so much ram and uses a lot of battery.

I would have appreciated more something like a partnership with Mozilla using Quantum. Or better they could have sticked with EdgeHTML. Addons were getting developed and they could have just worked with it.

Microsoft spends so much money on developing stuff and implement it, then they decide to abandon the project.

I don't see why moving to chromium would push users to use Edge instead of Chrome/Opera. Instead, if they improve Chromium, like they're claiming, they just strengthen Chrome leadership.

We of the community are probably the only users Edge will have for a while. If they don't listen to us it's over.