I would love build-in screenshot tool so much...

Copper Contributor

I still miss some great screenshot tool. This and the ability to send websites from mobile browser to PC are the only things keeping me from using Edge as my main browser. Hope we can expect screenshot tool like the one from Firefox. That would be super cool. As a journalist, I'm using this every single day, every single hour.

18 Replies

@Michal_Srajer  Try "Snip and Sketch" it's built into Windows 10 1903, also "Snipping Tool" in previous releases. They are handy. have timers, highlighter pen etc, I use them all the time for sending 1,2,3 instructions to my staff members.

@Michal_Srajer

Chromium already has this built in. Go to the developer tools or press ctrl + shift + i and then click the three dotted menu between the X and the smiley face then click run command or ctrl + shift + p.  Then type screenshot and you get different commands to run like screenshot, capture area screenshot and capture full size screenshot.

@goodddayy99Woooow, that's so not user-friendly that I'm not even gonna bother. Just the fact that Chromium supports screenshots in some basic form doesn't mean it's a full-fledged feature like in other browsers. Again Firefox is amazing in this and for us journalist its incredibly useful little thing to have :)

@Michal_Srajer

If you've never used the dev tools it sounds like a hassle, but it really is super quick, and just 3 steps to do so. Open the dev tools, click run command, and type the command. 

@bigMarkBut it doesn't do what I need for my work. I need full-sized screenshots of a webpage with scrolling. And picking elements of the website to screenshot is incredibly useful for my job. In Firefox you can just open Screenshot tool, point with a mouse on some image (or block of text, or whatever) and it automatically selects that item and makes a screenshot of just that thing. No editing and clipping needed. Snip and Sketch is definitely a useful feature for someone else but Firefox style screenshots would help me immensely.

@goodddayy99If you need Dev tools a Command for something it's not user-friendly. What if we added websites like this to Favourites? Regular people (aka 95% of demographic browsers are aiming for) would not use that feature. They wouldn't even know its there.

Hi @Michal_Srajer, have you tried using extensions to fill in the gap with regards to screenshots?  I found this one on the Microsoft Edge Insider Addons Store: https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/insider-addons/detail/fcbmiimfkmkkkffjlopcpdlgclncnknm.  There are others on the Chrome Extension store too.  As for the ability to continue browsing from desktop to mobile and back, we are working on that.  When you see the Open Tabs switch light up, you will be able to pick up where you left off on any machine that you have Microsoft Edge on.

clipboard_image_0.png

Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot KirkYeah, of course, I tried but none of them works as well and as seamless as a native tool in Firefox. Which is expected of course. Collections are also feature I've seen as extensions but it's nice to have it for everybody right after installing the browser without need to download it somewhere and look for it. Native solutions are always the best.

As for opening Tabs from a phone, I'm really looking forward to it. But I had in mind something like sending the web page from my phone to the browser in my PC in which it opens right away. Original Edge has this, Firefox has this and Opera has its Flow. Even Apple has it in Mac OS. I'm sure something like this has to come to new Edge as well, right?

Hi,
if you're on Windows 10, you can use Snip & Sketch which is a built in app and it supports, full screen snips, shapes, custom area screenshots etc. you can also make the PrntScrn key on your keyboard to launch that app.

also the classic Edge has web inking which is also integrated with OneNote, would be nice if Microsoft could bring it to this new Edge.

@HotCakeXSnip and Sketch doesn't really do what I need for my work. I need full-sized screenshots of a webpage with scrolling. And picking elements of the website to screenshot is incredibly useful for my job.

In Firefox you can just open Screenshot tool, point with a mouse on some image (or block of text, or whatever) and it automatically selects that item and makes a screenshot of just that thing. No editing and clipping needed. Snip and Sketch is definitely a useful feature for someone else but Firefox style screenshots would help me immensely :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love this in Edge. Many people love Firefox just because of features like this super useful screenshot tool.

I also miss super great PDF viewer from original Edge and smooth scrolling, but we already know these things are hopefully coming. 

What do you think about the classic Edge's screenshot and clipping tools?
it's got pen, highlighter, eraser, adding notes, clipping, touch writing and so on.
also the integration with OneNote. how does that compare with Firefox's scrennshot tools, in your opinion?

@HotCakeXIt's great but very similar to Snip and Sketch except integration of Onenote. You can supplement it pretty well. I miss PDF viewer way more.

I'm looking for something else. The option to pick individual elements of the website automatically by just clicking on it is incredibly useful. If you just drag to pick some area of the website you will never get as precise and you will not get the biggest possible resolution.

Also, screenshots of a full website with scrolling are super useful if I need to describe a whole website to our codder. For example

@Michal_Srajer 

Both of those can be done.

you can use the "clip" feature to either clip one element of the webpage or just hold it and scroll down the web page with your mouse wheel and it will keep clipping the whole website.

this is an example of element clipping.

Annotation 2019-09-17 230914.png

@HotCakeX  No, that's not it. I can already see the white frame around the image you're trying to clip. As I was saying if you're doing this manually by dragging you will never be as precise and always end up witch smaller or bigger picture and I'm fighting for every bit of resolution.

Also, drag and scroll with mouse works terribly with touchpads. It's not confortable at all and if your journalist you need to work super fast. I can't be doing every single screenshot like this. Simpler and faster it is the more work I can get and faster the articles are released or mistakes on our website are fixed.

I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate it but Edge and Microsoft tools just don't offer same features as Firefox which are important for me. No matter how small might this feature look like to others. I wrote this post just to get the word out and have a little hope that something like this might come to new Edge :)

Window's snipping tool is a good tool. I use it often and within seconds. However, I know what you're getting at. The snipping tool is a feature in Opera Browser (also based off Chromium) and promoted as one of their "popular features" even though the browser itself has a small share of users. I went into Windows Sandbox and downloaded their stable version, and it's there. I tested it, and I have to admit it was a pretty easy and nice option. With one click of the camera icon (right side next to the heart) comes up the snipping option. Would be an intersting survey to see how many users would actually be interested in this added option. Even if it's only an add option found in the drop down menu under "more tools" for those that don't want their browser flooded with icons. I snapped this:

Capture.JPG

@Michal_Srajer 

The ink tool from the classical edge would be nice to add a screenshot feature. If I say no nonsense, the ink future is in development for the PDF feature. It's a good sign I think for a future reintroduction of the ink feature in general.

Currently if you check in the chrome store, the OneNote WebClipper add-on is always available. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onenote-web-clipper/gojbdfnpnhogfdgjbigejoaolejmgdhk

The merge between the old ink feature and the features from this OneNote add-on in a one place for the New Edge, would be an interesting betterment mostly, with an Office integration.

OneNote WebClipper 1.jpg

OneNote WebClipper 2.jpg

@Anthony Precisely. Opera, Firefox, and Vivaldi each has a simple and effective screen capture tool built in, and this can be really useful. They all allow you to capture a random selection, the visible area, or the whole page. Vivaldi even lets you choose to save it as a .jpg or .png or to copy it to the clipboard. Of course you can get this with an extension, but that’s not the point. It’s a lot nicer as a native feature of the browser. So I agree with @Michal_Srajer 

@JordanQ Yeah, the one in Opera was pretty neat at that.