How to remove the "discover" button?

Iron Contributor

After my microsoft edge dev updated to 111.0.1619.2, there is a "discover" button on the top-right corner of the browser window, which is VERY annoying. Each time when my mouse hover on it (even without a click), the discover menu and sidebar pops up. How can I remove this "discover" button?

OxygenDioxide_0-1674268044622.png

33 Replies
Thanks, it started driving me crazy right away, especially that hoovering activates, but also because the button doesn't even act as a toggle to reverse its offense. This implementation could never arise when its developer is motivated by, or merely shows deference towards, making the UI user-friendly—instead of being able to dismiss the sidebar after opening it (whether the result of, most-likely, an errant click, or of intentional activation) by simply clicking the mouse a second time (or first time, if activated from by mere hoover), I'm required to, after recovering from the shock of its unintuitive apparition, shift my gaze to the bottom of the window, locate a small icon, guide the mouse to within its activation zone, and, finally, click. The remote possibility of this functionality being acceptable, perhaps due to other interference with other aspects of the UI's scheme (and it is hard to imagine), is entirely foreclosed by the fact that the button has only one function—it opens the bar. This, combined with its oddly obscure tooltip label, presented after hoovering an identical duration to what is required for activation (clearly, they didn't want you to be able to find out what the button does before forcing accidental activation, though, I can't foresee any confident understanding of what to expect arising from reading that label), might lead one to conclude that, far from being indifferent towards the UI, the developer was quite concerned: it was just that his objective was to impose the sidebar on the user by surprise and then frustrate both, his attempts to dismiss it, and his ability implement preventative measures to avoid recurrence. Indeed, every aspect of the implementation that I can think of is consistent with that aim, but it is hard to imagine any of the design choices I mentioned resulting from a motivation that was, at least, not patronizing, and, if the button can't even be dismissed, I'd lean heavily towards it being malicious.
As an insider i have asked them for a remove function not the hide bs they have but a solid remove function...
I completely agree, this button should be able to be removed. In the stable builds it is built into the side bar, this should be where it stays. Absolutely crazy they are moving that to the main tool bar AND that it has taken the place of the menu button. Please put this button back in the sidebar with the ability to be removed
I hope it can be removed completely in the upcoming official version.

@OxygenDioxide 

yes, i also want a remove function for this button, i have no intention of using this feature.

Wow, what a bloated browser Edge has become. It started out good but didn't take long to bloat it up with crapware. Now it looks like Internet Explorer infested with malware. I guess it's time to switch to another browser. The advantages of using Edge are slowly but surely diminishing.

You can use option four or five in the tutorial below to remove the Bing Discover button from Microsoft Edge. Option four does also disable the sidebar.

A new option six below is available for some to turn on/off in Microsoft Edge settings.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/add-or-remove-sidebar-and-discover-bing-toolbar-icon-in-microsoft-edge...

Hi
I really dislike the attitude where 'they' know best, forcing their ideas onto the users.
It's like 'I wrote this, so you will use it!'
Well, I will NOT use it and, I WILL find you and I WILL destroy you! (the Discover stuff that is :) )

EDIT: thanks to numerous kind people, who all offered a RegEdit script to do the task and I am now Discover free   -    told you I would!

Ok time to go back to firefox..

To much bloatware on edge right now.

Hi
Well, I was a long time user of Firefox but had to abandon due to issues with scrren black outs with Youtube videos. I tried for quite a while to deal with that but never managed to get it sorted (even Firefox ignored questions). So, if and when I abandon Edge, then I will try a few of the other browsers available. I agree with you regarding the bloatware. Some of the ideas that 'they' dream up with have little to do with a browser - they seem to have aspirations to turn Edge into an 'everything you could ever want' application instead of just a clean fast browser.

@Les_Hay i personally moved on to Vivaldi.....

@OxygenDioxide I'm in China, so this **bleep** Bing button can't play any role at all! It's useless and I can't even remove it...

MS right now... "Are we the baddies.......?"

Seriously!!! What are you guys thinking??????

I don't have any use at all for the Discover thing, and the button for it is not in keeping with current simple clean aesthetics of the modern Windows Experience anyway. Harks back to the ugly ui days of Windows 7.

None of the options in this thread are acceptable - it should simply have an option in settings to disable and hide it completely.

For now, I have reinstalled Chrome, set it to default, and will use that until the Edge Team get back on track.

Hi

@OxygenDioxide
Thanks for the thread, hope lots of people join in.
BTW: I suppose that OxygenDioxide is another name for 'heavy oxygen' :)

That makes me think to switch the browser. Devs must have forgotten about the KISS principle.

@Shawn_Brink 

There MAY be a security risk with the Disabling Of the Secure DNS. As stated at the bottom part of this post.

This is MS Edge Stable Version i am testing.

Credit to you for the Link.

2 Always Show Sidebar and Bing Discover Toolbar icon in Microsoft Edge for All Users

This will override and gray out Option One, Option Two, and Option Three.
This will add a Your browser is managed by your organization message at the top of Microsoft Edge Settings letting you know you have used a policy.

And 3 is the same.

Always Hide (Disable) Sidebar and Bing Discover Toolbar icon in Microsoft Edge for All Users

This will also disable the Use secure DNS to specify how to lookup the network address for websites setting in Microsoft Edge.

@OxygenDioxide 

In Edge Canary Version 113.0.1742.0

Settings/Sidebar/Discover

DaleRoss_0-1678990196362.png