How to disable writing assistance via Group Policy

Copper Contributor

Hello,

new Edge version 106 has got settings "Use writing assistance". I look for matching settings in group policy for Edge but with not succes. I use the latest adml and admx files. 

Group setting Disable spellcheck will help but only for Edge 104 (and lower).

Edge 106 has replaced settings Spell check and implemented Writing assistance but group policy are not prepared for this change.

Thanks for you reply.

Martin Slepicka

Czech Republic

6 Replies
Any news on this? This is a critical security flaw. Passwords can be exposed by this feature.

See: https://www.otto-js.com/news/article/chrome-and-edge-enhanced-spellcheck-features-expose-pii-even-yo...

Am I supposed to change all the government PCs EDGE SETTINGS manually?

We demand a GPO to turn that off!

regards,
stephenie
You can disable writing assistance with the following GPO
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-policies#microsofteditorproofingenabled

This will disable the "Microsoft Editor" option and enable "Basic" spelling.
Edge> Settings > Languages > Use writing assistance

Thank you so much!
Hello,

this is not disabling writing assistance, this is only switch from Microsoft editor to basic spelling. We would like disable writing assistance at all and this is possible only by Edge GUI or by editing Preferences file in user profile not by Edge group policy because Microsoft does not implement it. We have to stay on version 104 until Microsoft solves it and properly implements disabling writing assistance into group policy.

@Martin_Slepicka I don't know if it will help you but I used a workaround. I left the spellcheck GPO enabled, then enabled the "Force disabled spellcheck languages" GPO and added all the used languages that I wanted disabled.

The supported languages are: af, bg, ca, cs, cy, da, de, el, en-AU, en-CA, en-GB, en-US, es, es-419, es-AR, es-ES, es-MX, es-US, et, fa, fo, fr, he, hi, hr, hu, id, it, ko, lt, lv, nb, nl, pl, pt-BR, pt-PT, ro, ru, sh, sk, sl, sq, sr, sv, ta, tg, tr, uk, vi.

Brilliant. I have a closed system that does not have access to the internet. Setting "Spell checking provided by Microsoft Editor" to "Disabled" was the solution. Now "Use writing assistance" was set to Basic, and then spell check works without internet access.