Great new features: Tabs Groups Auto create - Tab Groups collapse - Tab Groups Freeze

MVP

Microsoft Edge Version 89.0.722.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) has added 2 new features to Tab Groups and improved the previous ones.

you need to enable them using flags (edge://flags/)

Spoiler
Tab Groups

Allows users to organize tabs into visually distinct groups, e.g. to separate tabs associated with different tasks. – Mac, Windows

#edge-tab-groups

Tab Groups Auto Create

Automatically creates groups for users, if tab groups are enabled. – Mac, Windows

#edge-tab-groups-auto-create

Tab Groups Collapse

Allows a tab group to be collapsible and expandable, if tab groups are enabled. – Mac, Windows

#edge-tab-groups-collapse

Tab Groups Collapse Freezing

Experimental tab freezing upon collapsing a tab group. – Mac, Windows

#edge-tab-groups-collapse-freezing

Watch this demo video I just recorded to see how they perform:

https://streamable.com/oxtieq

* you can drag a group of tabs and drop them on another window.

** Tab groups on vertical tabs has minor visual issues. see below

Spoiler
in vertical tabs, always the tab group that is at the very bottom (and when nothing is below it), jumps to the top when you collapse it.
Version 89.0.722.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)
(if you can please reproduce this issue and send feedback from the Edge feedback button)

dsdasd.png

17 Replies

@HotCakeXThank you so much for the heads-up! And thanks so much to the Edge team for providing this!

Here is how Tab Groups Freeze feature work.

https://streamable.com/kx5nqo

you can check the status of sleeping tabs from edge://discards/

This is actually the method of forcing tabs to go to sleep! simply by tapping/clicking on the tab group's color icon or name, you put all the tabs in that group to sleep using Sleeping tabs features of Edge.

@HotCakeX Thank you for the information! I am in love with them! Specially the auto-create feature is an added bonus!

Absolutely!

Here are few suggestions for Tab Groups, if anyone likes them please request each of them separately, if possible with brief explanation about how it is helpful, as feedback using feedback button on Edge or shortcuts: (Alt + Shift + i)

1. ​When opening all tabs inside a favorites folder, automatically add them to one tab group.
  2. Add an option to ​​close others tab and leave only the tabs in the selected group open.
  3. Add the ability to​​ add a tab group to favorites.
  4. Add the ability to​​ add a tab group to Collections
  5. Add an option to refresh all tabs in a tab group
  6. Add the ability to open all items of a Collection in the same tab group
  7. R​randomize the auto tab group create color. right now it's always set to grey which is the first color in the row.  ssdsds.png

@HotCakeX the fifth pointer is exactly what I asked for before, and the others are very cool if they can be implemented. I have sent feedback for all of them!

@HotCakeX Thanks for the post! We're excited that you, @Rohit Yadav, and @Kam are enjoying the preview and have feedback on it already. :)

Fawkes (they/them)
Program Manager & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

@HotCakeX 

Oh yes, sure, great feature, not useful, but great. Sometimes I want a set of tabs to go to sleep, other times, I want a different configuration of tabs to go to sleep... If everytime I have to create a different set of groups, not useful at all. Also, if I set a 5 minute windows for the tab to go to sleep if not being used, why should a have to force a group of tabs to go to sleep? For me it just means that it is not working, and if it is not working, it could be breaking someting else or causing more problems then helping, we should be carefull with a piece of code that is not behaving as it should be.

@Alex_Tasi 

Spoiler

@Alex_Tasi wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Oh yes, sure, great feature, not useful, but great. Sometimes I want a set of tabs to go to sleep, other times, I want a different configuration of tabs to go to sleep... If everytime I have to create a different set of groups, not useful at all. Also, if I set a 5 minute windows for the tab to go to sleep if not being used, why should a have to force a group of tabs to go to sleep? For me it just means that it is not working, and if it is not working, it could be breaking someting else or causing more problems then helping, we should be carefull with a piece of code that is not behaving as it should be.

Whatever you want you need to send using feedback button on Edge,
I can't make those changes in Edge for you.

the timeout does its job, these tab groups do their job, complementing each other.

@HotCakeX 

I'm not asking you to change the sw, just saying that it is not working as it supposed to do, but, I'm sorry, I can see now that it is doing it's job...

Alex_Tasi_0-1614261346329.png

Maybe I need a few more days for it to decide to go to sleep... :D

@Alex_Tasi 

Hover over the "can sleep?" column to see why some tabs won't go to sleep.

Edge won't break website functionality, that means if a website is having a certain behavior or using a certain feature of the browser, it will continue staying active.

In recent versions the auto-create feature doesn't work anymore

@HotCakeX The auto-create feature does not seem to be selectable in 2023. See the below image.Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.21.13 PM.png

@Unwrittend 

Spoiler

@Unwrittend wrote:

@HotCakeX The auto-create feature does not seem to be selectable in 2023. See the below image.Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.21.13 PM.png

it's enabled by default. Flags are temporary.
There is also a new similar feature and it's AI assisted.

HotCakeX_0-1698923344437.png