Focus Mode Bug / UI logic improvement

MVP

Hi, I just found a bug in Focus Mode that can confuse users when trying to go back to the normal mode.

when user switches a tab to focus mode, that tab will not reload or refresh, only the UI replaces, the same thing happens when you exist focus mode, so far everything is great

but here is the problem:

Annotation 2019-10-05 112645.png

the "move to new window" button is always grayed out. when there is no other Edge window open, that option should be available so the user can click on it to open a new Edge window and unfocus that tab on that new window. that option being there, unavailable, is redundant.

Even when there is another window open, that option is still grayed out!

Annotation 2019-10-05 235925.png

"new window" option grayed out.

there is only one situation where that option is Not grayed out, and that is when there is more than 1 tabs in the focus mode. the logic behind its UI obviously needs some improvements.

it's fairly easy to reproduce this issue.

9 Replies

@HotCakeX I can switch from focus mode to normal mode without any problem:

focus mode 1.40.gif

Or maybe I didn't quite understand the bug you mean.

Try closing other Edge windows when switching to focus mode.

@leopeva64-2_ 

I know about that but I was referring to the one in my own screenshot in the first post.

the "move to new window" button is always grayed out. when there is no other Edge window open, that option should be available so the user can click on it to open a new Edge window and unfocus that tab on that new window. that option being there, unavailable, is redundant.

Even when there is another window open, that option is still grayed out!

Annotation 2019-10-05 235925.png

"new window" option grayed out.

there is only one situation where that option is Not grayed out, and that is when there is more than 1 tabs in the focus mode. the logic behind its UI obviously needs some improvements.

I updated my post to be more clear about the matter.

@HotCakeX I don't consider this to be a "bug", the "Move to new Window" option is not designed to exit focus mode and switch to normal mode, the option to do that is found in the ellipsis menu ("Open in Microsoft Edge" or "Open in chrome"), this is how "focus mode" was designed, you must remember that this feature was developed by Google engineers (working on the Chromium project) for Chrome and in that browser there is no "Move to new window" option in the tab context menu, so it’s completely normal for that option to not work in the "focus mode", the fact that the "focus mode" feature works on the new Edge is simply a consequence of using Chromium.

In my opinion, this is rather a request that you make to Edge developers (for that option to work in the "focus mode") and not a "bug" as you call it in the post because, as I said, it’s completely normal that this option doesn’t work in the "focus mode".

@leopeva64-2_ 

I don't know based on what you say it's not designed for that since you're not the developer.
I'm not talking about the ellipsis menu at all. 
This is not Google chrome nor Google forum. It does not matter what Google did. this is Microsoft's browser now and they should fix the problems and faults of the Google.

what i showed IS a bug and UI logic problem that needs to be addressed.

Nothing is normal when something does Not work. I don't care what and how Google chrome is. Microsoft didn't make this browser so people compare it to Google chrome all the time.

My comment was removed by one of the moderators, I just wanted to clarify that it was not me who removed it, I still think exactly the same as I wrote in that comment.

@leopeva64-2_ 

@leopeva64-2_ wrote:

My comment was removed by one of the moderators, I just wanted to clarify that it was not me who removed it, I still think exactly the same as I wrote in that comment.

Sorry, I don't know what you're referring to.

but if they removed something then they had very good reason for doing it.

How to close "Focus Mode" in Edge 120.0.2210.7 Dev version?
this button used to be available in "Experimental" Tab , but today i cant find it on my edge;