SOLVED

Error on updating Edge canary: Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x800b0001.

MVP

I'm getting this infamous error

Failed to cache the downloaded installer. Error: 0x800b0001.

gfdgfdgdf.png

ghdgf.png

restarting Edge or computer doesn't help.

I can see the directory is created:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Download\{ID}\83.0.473.0

for some reason my Fiddler doesn't show me the URL of the file being downloaded either. so I would like to fix this without reinstalling Canary :)

12 Replies

@HotCakeX Hello. I just did an update. I ended without mistakes.

Well any idea how to fix it? I still don't know what even triggers that

found a topic that says:
"The problem is that the system certificate verification download file does not pass.It cannot be installed online."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/edge-chromium-could-not-be-installed-0x800b0001/m...

I just uninstalled Edge canary, downloaded the online installer but at the end when download finished I'm getting the same error!

best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Something funny actually happened! I installed Edge canary but with the welcome screen and icons of Edge stable and also without update core!

so what I did was to find the logs in here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log

Special thanks to @Deleted for helping me find their locations

then find the URL which was this: (yup it's that long)

http://msedge.f.tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/edeccdca-d35a-456d-8f21-194f50233db8?P1=1585938496&P2=402&P3=2&P4=o0IWda8WcLn%2bxb8M2B3SzXGW%2fwBO6%2bBBca%2btYj98onxpGswf54avw0enLXaIR0QjBjlH0NQ79mh9UPphVJAx6Q%3d%3d

downloaded it manually, the file name was this:

edeccdca-d35a-456d-8f21-194f50233db8

no extension whatsoever. so I decided to add ".exe" to the end of it because otherwise what can i do with a file without an extension. after that doubled clicking on it silent installed Edge canary.

but it says official build and has no "canary" word anywhere on it

gdfgdgd.png

gfdgd.png

ggfdgdfgd.png

that temporary fixed it, tomorrow or next time when there is a new canary update on the server I will try the online installer and if it fails again I have to keep doing this.

@johnjansen 

I'm still looking for the reason why this problem apparently only happened to me and an official way to take care of it.

@HotCakeX I was looking through for any internal information, and I am not able to find other cases of this, so I'm not sure what actually happened to cause it. 

Can you tell me what build of the OS you are on?

Did Canary work, and then suddenly fail to update so you uninstalled it? 

Can you successfully install other channels on the same machine?

-John

@johnjansen 

Spoiler

@johnjansen wrote:

@HotCakeX I was looking through for any internal information, and I am not able to find other cases of this, so I'm not sure what actually happened to cause it. 

Can you tell me what build of the OS you are on?

Did Canary work, and then suddenly fail to update so you uninstalled it? 

Can you successfully install other channels on the same machine?

-John

I'm on Windows 10 insider fast ring build 19592, i've been on this specific build for 8 days now and updated canary successfully 3 or 4 times, but only today I'm having this problem.

I tried Edge dev now and it's also failing with the same error.

so on your servers there is no log or telemetry data that I'm getting this error?

I can send the log file to you privately if you want.

is there some way to get the Edge updater separately and install it on my computer?

@HotCakeX yeah, sending me your logs would be great. We are checking backend telemetry, but aren't seeing things out of the ordinary (yet). John DOT Jansen AT Microsoft.com

Thanks!
-John

@johnjansen 

Spoiler

@johnjansen wrote:

@HotCakeX yeah, sending me your logs would be great. We are checking backend telemetry, but aren't seeing things out of the ordinary (yet). John DOT Jansen AT Microsoft.com

Thanks!
-John

Hi,

I'm sorry but I thought when you saw I'm on Windows 10 insider build you gave up and didn't want to reply so just about 3 hours ago I reset the same insider build using cloud download (didn't save the logs) and Edge is working fine now.

gfdgfdg.png

@HotCakeX ah, bummer. Well, if this does turn out to be a bigger issue, we should see it in our telemetry, and if it was an anomaly, I'm glad you are back up and running.

I can help you regarding this problem

I suggest you try downloading the offline installer, then run it locally on your PC
a copy can be found at this link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HotCakeX (MVP)
Solution

Something funny actually happened! I installed Edge canary but with the welcome screen and icons of Edge stable and also without update core!

so what I did was to find the logs in here:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Temp\MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.log

Special thanks to @Deleted for helping me find their locations

then find the URL which was this: (yup it's that long)

http://msedge.f.tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/edeccdca-d35a-456d-8f21-194f50233db8?P1=1585938496&P2=402&P3=2&P4=o0IWda8WcLn%2bxb8M2B3SzXGW%2fwBO6%2bBBca%2btYj98onxpGswf54avw0enLXaIR0QjBjlH0NQ79mh9UPphVJAx6Q%3d%3d

downloaded it manually, the file name was this:

edeccdca-d35a-456d-8f21-194f50233db8

no extension whatsoever. so I decided to add ".exe" to the end of it because otherwise what can i do with a file without an extension. after that doubled clicking on it silent installed Edge canary.

but it says official build and has no "canary" word anywhere on it

gdfgdgd.png

gfdgd.png

ggfdgdfgd.png

that temporary fixed it, tomorrow or next time when there is a new canary update on the server I will try the online installer and if it fails again I have to keep doing this.

@johnjansen 

I'm still looking for the reason why this problem apparently only happened to me and an official way to take care of it.

View solution in original post