Error code: SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED

Iron Contributor

Edge Canary (Version 85.0.556.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)) I'm getting this error message: Error code: SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED edge, specifically in Maui Jim's website such as this: https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/rectangular

Sometimes I get the error, but otherwise the page just sits there and loads forever. I will send a bug report as well but was curious to see if anyone else saw this.

9 Replies

@SD777 Thanks for letting us know.

I wasn't able to personally repro this error, but I'll check in with the team to see if they have more information. In the meantime, yes, it would be great if you can submit feedback and diagnostics through the browser. :)

Fawkes (they/them)
Project & Community Manager - Microsoft Edge

I've been able to replicate the issue on sites like Disney +. After about 1 hour 45 minutes the site dies with the same message. I'm not noticing an exhuberant amount of ram in use, it just appears to die

@SD777  SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED means that the tab used more memory than permitted for the sandboxed process.

Edge currently sets the same limits as Chrome; the limits are so high (4gb-16gb) that exceeding them is almost always an indication of a memory leak or JavaScript error on the part of the site:

int64_t physical_memory = base::SysInfo::AmountOfPhysicalMemory();

if (sandbox_type == SandboxType::kGpu && physical_memory > 64 * GB) {

memory_limit = 64 * GB;

} else if (sandbox_type == SandboxType::kGpu && physical_memory > 32 * GB) {

memory_limit = 32 * GB;

} else if (physical_memory > 16 * GB) {

memory_limit = 16 * GB;

} else if (physical_memory > 8 * GB) {

memory_limit = 8 * GB;

}

Does this problem reproduce if you run Edge InPrivate without any extensions loaded?

I've been having this issue myself just in the past couple of weeks;  I have now had it on two different computers, both of which are logged in using the same MS Account. 

This morning, on my home computer, which currently has 9.9 gig of FREE ram, I am getting pages crashing with this error. 

I recently added Grammarly..... could that be related?

This happens CONSTANTLY on Edge brows on X-Box One. Just try and connect to a zoom meeting via web browser. You'll repro it Real fast!

@SD777 

Hello SD777,

While browsing or performing certain tasks with the Edge browser on your computer, you may get the Error, SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED edge error page after the browser crashes.

Users encounter this error when Edge runs out of memory. It is often because of an app or website that uses excessive memory. However, you can follow the below ways to troubleshoot the issue,

Ensure the browser is updated:

Firstly, check the version of Microsoft Edge if you are not running the latest version. Then, you should update the browser.

Clear the memory cache:

• Firstly, right-click on the desktop and Click on "Shortcut" under the New option.
  • Next, click Browse to locate the directory or type "%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks"
  • Then, once the above process completes, click on the "Next" button to proceed
  • Now, type a name for the above shortcut, e.g., "Clear Unused RAM," and hit the "Next" button.
  • Lastly, double-click on the shortcut to clear the memory cache on Windows.

Clear the General Cache:

• Firstly, click on the Start button, type disk cleanup, and press Enter. 
  • Now, In the dialog box, choose the drive from where you want to clear the memory cache.
  • Then, click on OK to start the scanning process of space occupied by the cache.
  • Next, tick the checkboxes to clean "Clean up system files" and hit OK.
  • Lastly, delete the files once the above process gets completed.

Clear the DNS Cache:

• Firstly, press the Win logo + R keys to open the Run dialog. 
  • Then, type in CMD and hit Enter to open the Command Prompt. 
  • Now, type the following command and press Enter

ipconfig /flushdns

Note: Wait until the process gets completed,

• Lastly, restart your computer to apply changes.

Check for and fix Memory Leaks:

You must find and fix Memory Leaks on your Windows system to fix the issue,

• Firstly, Use a Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to fix a memory leak.
  • Now, Open the Start menu, search for Windows Memory Diagnostic and click to open.
  • Then, Select "Restart now and check for problems (recommended)" in the tool.
  • Lastly, It will restart the system, and the tool will try to fix your memory issues.

Close all the Problematic Apps:

• Firstly, right-click the Windows taskbar and select Task Manager.
  • Then, select the Processes tab in Task Manager.

You can see a list of apps along with the memory amount they are using. If you locate an app using more memory, then close the app.

• Lastly, right-click on the app and select End task to close the app.

Outdated device drivers can also cause the SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED error on Edge. You must update all your device drivers to resolve the issue. 

Thus, I hope the ways mentioned above help you to resolve the error.

--------------------------

Regards,

Austin_M

@Austin_M what about people who are using Xbox series x console it happens constantly to while am on my Xbox any suggestions 

На дворе 2023 а они не собираются исправить эту ошибку, мне искренно жаль что сотрудники такой престижной компаний как MS такие рукожопы

Solucionar este error